Author Topic: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)  (Read 16203 times)

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 May 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information about Martha and you're correct - I already have it. I really can't match my George Randall with George (hairdresser and perfumer) and Martha, but maybe I'm wrong.

I will check out William Richard Randall. Thanks for that too!

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 May 18 04:28 BST (UK) »
Interesting story perhaps you can track down the deeds,
1864 Mar. 8 Dingley Dell transferred by George Randall (Transfer No. 7076 Title Deeds) I think  Gordon said he paid £150.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 May 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks solidrock, I might chase the deed up one day, but for now I'm keen to find George Randall's parents in England. After a quick check of the notes given to me by my distant cousin, it seems she found an obituary of a George Randall in a newspaper in which it said he had a wife and children in Port MacDonnell and died without a will. She also found this George's burial information and that's where she got the place of birth from and then found the rest of the information form the 1841 census. From the research I've done, there were a lot of George Randalls around at that time so the obit may not have anything to do with our George. It's a puzzle!

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 May 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Which George are you talking about, the 1788 one or the 1828 one, I thought we had the 1828's parents, George and Martha.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 May 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
I'm talking about the 1828 one but I don't think that date or George and Martha are anything to do with our George because the dates don't correspond with the information we know - on the marriage certificate of our George it states that he was 27 when he got married in 1850, which means he must have been born around 1823.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi  Belle G,
That throws a spanner in the works if you think we've got the wrong George. I have only found two Georges born in Derbyshire around the dates you gave...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGN9-877
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J33G-LGD

Of the 2 George 1828 matched up with the info you have from your cousin and from which we have some facts, although not necessarily confirming it's your George. He is in the 1841 census with parents George and Martha but in the 1851 he is no longer with them, this fits the timescale that he may of gone to Australia. I am not convinced with the story about George sailing his fathers ship, as wivenhoe said, stories get changed over the years. He would have been 22-27 at that time and I doubt he would of had the experience to sail a clipper,(probably), 9.000+ miles for at least 3 months duration. There is a record for a George Randall, merchant seaman but I can't find the original to check...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCSB-DCY

It's a pity you have lost contact with your cousin to see what documentary evidence they have.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 05:53 BST (UK) »
".. I might chase the deed up one day, but for now I'm keen to find George Randall's parents in England."

This is not incidental to researching the origins of George RANDALL. The circumstances of the changing ownership of Dingley Dell are important because they are a test of the credibility of the notes you are using. At this stage, it would seem that the notes of another researcher are all you have to work with. I am not suggesting that you access the files for transfer of property ownership, but you need to question the information that you are working with.

And if this is the source of the information that you are using, and giving to a forum, you need to consider the accuracy of the notes. When was this research done....five years ago...twenty years ago?  When were the notes compiled?

Looking at online information about Adam Lindsay GORDON, I am seeing that he bought Dingley Dell.

Where you see your George RANDALL as a publican, he is the person who applies for a liquor   license. He is not the owner of a hotel.

"..... obituary of a George Randall in a newspaper in which it said he had a wife and children in Port MacDonnell and died without a will."

The probate file for George RANDALL, died Victoria, states that he died intestate, and that he had a family in Port Macdonnell and had left them about thirty years earlier.

Have you located a newspaper obituary for him?

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks solidrock. Yes, I don't think the 1828 George is ours because that birth year doesn't match his age on his marriage certificate. That was great that you checked the 1851 census too to see if George was on there and the dates do match up to his arrival in Australia, it's just his birth date doesn't match up with the marriage certificate.

I've been thinking along the same lines as you in regards to George sailing his father's ship out to Australia, I too think he would have been too young to do that.

This looks interesting: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJD2-JDJC

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe, Thanks for still be interested in this search. The researchers include my mother who passed away in 2006 and did her research long before the Internet was available, and the other researcher is a distant cousin who may have passed away by now as her emails and letters stopped suddenly. However, she did give me copies of all her notes and photocopies of other information she found. I still have to get time to read through everything she's given me.

As for Adam Lindsay Gordon purchasing George's land and house, the information you are seeing and what really happened may be two different things. I'm sure anything that would tarnish his reputation would never be added to any information written about him.

I have photocopy of George's obituary in the newspaper - that's where I got my information from, which I posted earlier. If he had left his family 30 years earlier than his death in 1889 means that he probably isn't our George as I think he was still with them after 1859.