Author Topic: Robert Henry C S Chapman or Southcoat b Q4 1905 Allerthorpe, Yorkshire  (Read 1798 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henry C S Chapman or Southcoat b Q4 1905 Allerthorpe, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 May 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
California Death Index (on familysearch) says

Murray Franklyn Southcote was born 21 Nov 1924 in Canada and died 10 Jan 1964 in Orange, California.  Mother's maiden name was Davey.

RK

PS - You may already have all the information you need about Frank and his family - I know the original question was just about Robert.  If nothing more is needed re Frank,... I will just take one more quick look for his obit.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 May 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
I am not seeing an obituary for Frank in the Toronto papers.  Now I know his wife's maiden name was Davey - I will look for her...

Obit in the Toronto Star, 16 Aug 1977, page B6

Gertrude May Southcote, nee Davey, born June 11, 1888 in Waverley, Ontario.   She died in Toronto on August 13 1977.   Wife of the late Frank Southcote.  Interment Sanctuary Park Cemetery. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 May 18 03:24 BST (UK) »
So, Frank died sometime between 1965 (Robert's obit) and 1977 (Gertrude's obit). 

I am not having any luck finding it... but if you would like to know his date of death (if you don't already have it), you can contact Sanctuary Park cemetery, Toronto. 

RK 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 May 18 03:30 BST (UK) »
Looks like Gertrude May Davey had a late birth registration... in 1928. 

Here is her birth
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939J-DX3X-R6?i=65&cc=1784212

RK

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 May 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your excellent research, although not interested in his uncle Frank, you found me another brother, Albert from his obit! The latter was b 1924 but recorded as Southcote.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped with Robert's obituary.   :) 

If newly found brother A was born in 1924, perhaps he is still living?  If so, I will go back and remove his full name from my post about Robert's obit.   What about the other 2 siblings mentioned in the obit?  Do you know if they are still living?

RK

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi RK actually A was b 1921 but can find no record of his passing so far but the other ones have passed away.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline stephanie ford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 July 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi.  My name is Stephanie and I live in Toronto.  I do remember Robert Southcoat coming to my house many times for dinner and I called him Uncle Bob.  Frank Southcoat was my godfather and for many years he used to bring groceries to my home weekly. 
My mother was the daughter of Edith Annie Southcoat, who was the daughter of George Henry Southcoat.  There were very few Southcoats in Canada at that time and we stayed in close contact.  Of course I remember Murray, Uncle Frank's only son.  He was the son of Frank's first wife and May Davey was Murray's step mother.  Murray was a brilliant engineer and had helped to create the first Hovercraft.  His death at such an early age from brain cancer was a terrible blow to everyone.  He left his wife and two young children, Raymond and Maura Lee. 
Robert's sister left a small sum of money to my mother to thank her for all the many kindnesses that she had shown to Robert before his death.  Please do respond if I can help you any further with your inquiries.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 July 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie, I'm really looking for Albert E Southcoat born Q2 1921 who was the brother of Robert. Your family seem to have been a separate one from mine.
Cr