Author Topic: Where was his Scar?  (Read 821 times)

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was his Scar?
« on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Alexander's enlistment paper shows that he has a distinctive scar, but can anyone figure out where it was? 'Scar from Burn left.... ?..'
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
Re: Where was his Scar?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
I'll have to stare at it for a while longer, but the one word I think I can make out at the moment is 'groin'.
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
 In human anatomy, the groin, also known as the INGUINAL region between the abdomen and the thigh on either side of the pubic bone.

Believe the word is just the medical term for the groin -  Inguinal canal or region.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Agree with Medpat. Left side of the groin.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
That's great. Thank you so much. Alex was a blacksmith before enlisting so I think the burn was probably work related and might even have decided him on a change of career. That's a couple of things I have been helped with this weekend, and I really hope I can help someone else out in the same way. Thanks again.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Possibly occurred when he was shoeing as horse with a very hot shoe and the horse either kicked him or jerked that foot - blacksmiths/farriers hold the horse's foot between their legs in their lap, i.e. in their groin area.

Very painful.   :'(