Author Topic: John & Jane Jones family of (Fron) Cysylte  (Read 2615 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John & Jane Jones family of (Fron) Cysylte
« on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm digging for details to confirm a Jones family of Cysyllte (i.e. Froncysyllte ).

The 1851 Census lists John Jones (Boatman, aged 54), with wife Jane (49), and children Sarah (20), Richard (18), Ellen (14), Ann (14), Mary Ann (10), Margaret (8 ) and Jane (3) - all are listed as born in 'Vron, Llangollen' (i.e. Froncysyllte).

The 1841 Census shows John and Jane, both aged abt 35, with 6 children John (15), Elizabeth (15), Richard (9), Mary (7), Ellen (4) and Ann (2). Also in property appears to be a Rafe(?) Williams (30) and Sarah Jane Williams (12), all born in county.

In the parish register for Glan-Yr-Afon Independent chapel (viewable on Ancestry) of Froncysyllte / Llangollen, there's a baptism for a daughter Elizabeth - "Elizabeth, daughter of John Jones Rocker, in the township of Cysyllte, by Jane his wife, former Williams, was born Feb 1st baptized June 13th 1822 by Wm Williams", this is too old for the Elizabeth in the 1841 census above (though I'm aware the 1841 numbers were rounded up or down), so I'm wondering if she was a child who died in infancy before 1826... or is she a different family (the censuses state John was a boatman, not a rocker- i.e. rockman). 

However the 1841 census with the two Williams lodgers hint that John's wife Jane may have been a Williams before marriage? If so, then the Glan-Yr-Afon record seems feasible for their eldest daughter.

There is another Glan-Yr-Afon baptism record for a Mary Jones "Mary, Daughter of John Jones, Cysyllte (Carrier) by Jane his wife (formerly Williams), was born Sept 14th 1828 and baptized Feb 9th 1829 By Thomas Jones." - this time the father's occupation does match, though again it's too old for the Mary mentioned in the 1841 census, which suggest an 1834 birth for their daughter Mary, so another infant death with later born sibling with the same name perhaps?

The Glan-Yr-Afron records do however have exactly matching entries for son Richard ( "Richard son of John Jones ???try ???ian boatman by Jane his wife (formerly Williams) was born January 2nd 1833 and baptised October 4th 1833. by Thos. Jones").

This leaves me with some conundrums -
1) Were the baptisms of two children with matching name, but incompatible birth dates, all the same family? Were the census birth dates just wrong?
2) If these are the correct family, why does the Glan-Yr-Afon set not have baptisms for their other children John, Elizabeth, Sarah and so on? - I've not traced any of their births.
3) Hints point to Jane's family name may be Williams, (Richard's baptism seems to nail it), but I've not found any records clearly confirming their marriage, or a birth for Jane (or for husband John for that matter!)
4) I've not traced the "Rafe" & Sarah Jane staying with them in 1841, were they family, or just lodgers? Was the Sarah Jane the same as the Sarah listed in 1851?

Any thoughts, help with these greatly received!

Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John & Jane Jones family of (Fron) Cysylte
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it will help any but think it is Kate Williams age 50 bc 1791 not Rafe age 30 in 1841

There is a bapt for Sarah from 1851 census, confirms mmn
Sarah Jones
Birthdate 14 Jan 1831 from freereg
Baptism date   14 Dec 1831
Baptism place   GLAN-YR-AFON INDEPENDENT OR CONGREGATIONAL,LLANGOLLEN.
Father John Jones, boatman, Cysyllte
Mother Jane - maiden name Williams

Possible marriage

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817cc08e93790eb7f97a5e9?search_id=5b1141fd4325a6b45a341ec6&ucf=false

If marriage correct think possibly Elizabeth 1822 was firstborn. Occupations can change. Age was rounded down to nearest 5 so this Elizabeth could have been 19 in 1841

Poss bapt for John on freereg 1824, not checked all. Bapts on freereg are Glan'rafon or St Collen

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/594d2061f493fd3638a21112?search_id=5b1156584325a6b45a34755f&ucf=false

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Cas, yes you're right, it does look like Kate rather than Rafe in the 1841 census! Perhaps a sister of Jane?

I hadn't thought to check Free Reg., these do look like the correct entries! As they're transcriptions I'd like to confirm the original records, but the chapel seems to tally with the ages and dates. Many thanks!

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
The 1881 census gives John 86 born Froncysyllte and Jane 80 Trevor.
There's a baptism at LLangollen
Jane Williams born 17.6.1802 bapt 20th d of Richard Williams of Trevor ifs of Miller by Catherine his wife.

Anne d of Richard Williams, Miller and Catherine his wife formerly Williams of the township of Trevor Isaf 7 Feb/11 Feb 1788

Sister Sarah 13/14.7.1782,Richard 29.8/7.9.1783 ,Catherine 3./13.3.1785, Mary 25 May/1 June 1786 ,Elizabeth 7/9 Aug 1787,Thomas 1/5.10. 1790,John 1/8.2.1792 ,Margaret 27/13 April 1794,Brother Edward 3/11 Jan 1796,and sister Maria 5/7.4.1799.

Marriage at Pantfadog 2.1.1781 ,he could write ,she couldn't .Wit William Morris and Ben Jones.

Sorry struggling to find John Jones

Ciderdrinker

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:07 BST (UK) »

Marriage at Pantfadog 2.1.1781 ,he could write ,she couldn't .Wit William Morris and Ben Jones.

I think you'll find that the marriage was at Llangollen, Pontfadog was part of Llangollen parish until 1848. FindMyPast have wrongly allocated many of the Llangollen records to Pontfadog for a good while. It's caused a few problems but by flicking through the records, the first in the book will show it as Llangollen.

Gadget

Added - I'll get my Clwyd FHS booklets out this afternoon and confirm.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Just checked the Clwyd Booklet and it is a wedding in Llangollen parish.

FindMyPast have also wrongly listed Wrexham marriages as Brymbo for a period as well.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I am astounded! Thank you everyone :D

I had seen the 1881 census entry but wasn't sure how much to trust the 'Trevor' birthplace of Jane, however this seems to confirm her birth - it was more of an indication than I gave credit!
I had found two possible 1802 baptisms in Llangollen on the LDS site, but without access to more detailed records couldn't confirm which, if either, were the correct family - this seems to clear up the matter though!

For husband John, censuses suggest a birth circa 1795-97 in Froncysyllte. The aqueduct hadn't been built then so the community would have been smaller, perhaps mainly of quarry workers and their families. I've not found any corresponding birth for him, though that could just be because I don't have access to the records, but I'm wondering if in fact John wasn't born in Froncysyllte after all but had moved there as a baby just when the population started to increase due to the canal etc., and he was too young to remember the move.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
I'm a little worried there may have been two John Jones. The 1851 census family of John (boatman), Jane, and 7 children is quite definitely my family, their daughter Sarah's marriage in 1852 confirms her father's occupation, and the baptism records of her siblings all point to Jane's former name as Williams. However, skipping the missing 1861 census, the only 1871 entry I could find was for John Jones, on the Canal at Grindley Brook, Whitchurch, Shropshire, master boatman of the boat 'The Atlantic'. Age: 74, born Llangollen. Head. Widower, with niece Lydia Jones 17 (born c.1854). (Piece: 2796  Folio: 66 Page Number: 41).

If this is my John Jones, it puts doubt on the 1881 census record showing John & a still living Jane in Froncysyllte. But the 1881 census does correspond with ages, and Jane's Williams' birth in Trevor Isaf! So, either John was not, in fact, widowed in 1871, or it's a different boatman with the same, admittedly common, name. I've not found any record for Jane in 1871, or identified Lydia Jones.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 June 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
I'm sure there's been a question about this family a few years ago. Your mention of Whitchurch rang bells.  I'll see if I can find the thread.