Author Topic: James Thomas RAMUS shipping records to Australia  (Read 1179 times)

Offline June Connell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Thomas RAMUS shipping records to Australia
« on: Sunday 27 May 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,,,,,,, I am new to  researching for my family. I did a bit way back when microfisch was the way to search.

I am trying to find when & hopefuly why my relative came to Australia from UK.  There is a year when he came but  I believe it is wrong, due to him being on the 1841 UK census.

It seems James was the only person in his family to come to Australia, which to me is strange. I know the gold rush was on and he did end up in ballarat where  there was gold fever. But he came as a young boy and left his family behind.

*Here are his father's census records for 1841. 1841 Census Charles 35, Sarah 36, Charles Jnr 16, James 14, Rudland 10, Alfred 8, George 2, Ann 5. living Chediston Street Halesworth Blything Union.

* Here are records by other family tree members,. but as I said James was in the 1841 census so I believe he travelled after 1838.

*James Thomas Ramus
Sep 17 1825
June 5 1902

*Arrival in Australia 1838, still searching for passenger, or crew listing to prove.

Owned land Buninyong in the Ballarat district.

Birth
   Cambridge, England
Sep 17 1825
Age 3
Christening
   Independent, Bungay, Suffolk, England
May 24 1829
Age 32
Marriage to:
Sarah Amy Ramus (born Downer)
   Ballarat Victoria Australia
Oct 20 1857

I come from this line and my mum's dad, Baden Victor hames ,  was the Grandson of James Thomas Ramus. 
With very little family left alive, I have decided to seek the info of those passed , before I do for my girls.

If you can help I would be wonderful thanks .

cheers June Connell
Australia

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Thomas RAMUS shipping records to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi June,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

It would appear that James Ramus was issued with a UK Mates Certificate in 1851 -

James Ramus
Estimated Age - 28
Birth - 17 Sep 1823,  ??? Cambridge.
Issue Date - 31 Jan 1851
Issue Port - London Poplar

Therefore it would appear that he to Australia between 1851 and his marriage in 1857.

J

Offline June Connell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
 wow , thanks so much Jen .

This is a great site.  Here in Aus I see other peoples posts on James Ramus migration. I have spent only 2 days and found out this. It stands to reason he would be welcomed on the ship, as he was cited to be a sail maker. I guess from great yarnouth  he would be had to have a job relating to the sea.

Can I ask if and where I could find out what ship/boat he came to Aus on?

I was going to come to the UK now for my hols, but it sadly did not happen. I am a huge David Bowie  fan and was coming for that. It seems I willbe very busy in UK the next few years of annual leave looking around where my ancesters lived.  This is my mum's dads side and then her mum  are Peers and weavells. My Dad is Connell and Baines. I will be very busy

thanks again and I am so impressed by the quick response ,

kindest regards

June Connell
Gippsland victoria Aus

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
June,

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with shipping records to Australia for that period. Hopefully someone will come along who is more knowledgable in this field.  :)

JJ

Offline June Connell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this anyway JJ .

As I believe James Thomas Ramus met his wife on the same ship, she was on the Medway Medway" arriving in Melbourne 13 December 1856.
Sarah Amy Ramus nee Downer,  left Plymouth 10 September 1856 .

Yes maybe someone out there knows  shipping logs for crew, so I can hopefully match this up. In Aus our records are only what  we  put in,

Thanks for the help.

cheers June

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 18 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi June,
Have you looked at the scanned death certificate for Thomas James RAMUS attached to a tree on Ancestry?

The information in it would be the basis for the claim he arrived in 1838.
He died in 1902, and his daughter, the informant for the certification, states his years in Victoria to be 64. That gives the year 1838.

Errors are common on Death Certificates.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 May 18 06:49 BST (UK) »

Hi June,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

It would appear that James Ramus was issued with a UK Mates Certificate in 1851 -

James Ramus
Estimated Age - 28
Birth - 17 Sep 1823,  ??? Cambridge.
Issue Date - 31 Jan 1851
Issue Port - London Poplar

Therefore it would appear that he to Australia between 1851 and his marriage in 1857.

J

Further details from his Certificate

It gives birth date 17th September 1823

.....  has been employed in the capacities of Boy Seaman &  Mate 11 years in British merchant  Service in Coasting and Foreign trade. 

Regarding place of issue, I do not see the word "Poplar" on the certificate as the transcriber apparently does. There is some sort of single letter after the word London. Maybe interpreted as P. Don't know ::) This is followed by "Eng"
Sue   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Family stories are often hard to validate.  I agree with you in that he was still in England with his father Charles on the 1841 census however his UK Mates Certificate issued in 1851 states he had been in service for 11 years!!!!

You could start here for further information
http://www.anmm.gov.au/Learn/Library-and-Research/Research-Guides/Immigration-Sailing-Ships

Logs and Diaries
The library does have some copies of logs, letters, journals and diaries of voyages to Australia. They are indexed under the ship's name in the subject index of the library catalogue and by the author's name.
Log of logs: A catalogue of logs journals shipboard diaries, letters and all forms of voyage narratives 1788 to 1988. 3 vols.

Compiled By Ian Nicholson. Yaroomba, Qld. Ian Nicholson, [1990-1998]
REF 387.5099 NIC
This excellent publication is highly recommended for information on logs, diaries and letters.

Possibly further information on crew lists ie if he was crew, at the National Archives in London.

And https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/transport/ships-crew-1852-1922

You only have to look at the places of birth for his chn - Huntly and White Hills to realise he actually settled in Bendigo for a number of years prior to moving to Ballarat around 1869.

RAMUS J
Victorian Government Gazette 26 Aug 1861 Page#1626
Unclaimed Letters.

RAMUS J T
Victorian Government Gazette  6 Jun 1865 Page#1272
Title Deeds.

1865 Sale of Crown Land
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87930763

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk