Author Topic: Peter Tullock born 1803 approx  (Read 2847 times)

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Tullock born 1803 approx
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks amondg for the additional information.  I notice that Mary was buried at the age of 2 only 8 months after her baptism.  Is it not unusual for the time that baptism took place so long after birth?

C

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
I guess with almost 800 candidates to choose from I will not get back any further on Peter Tullock (h). 

A possible lead  :-\

In the British Merchant Seamens Records 1835 - 1857 is a Peter Tullock. His age at the start of the record is 33, so he was born c. 1802. His place of birth is given as Larwick (Lerwick)

The reason I think this might just possibly be your man is that several of his voyages were made in a ship called the Astley. Astley was the family name of the Delavals of Seaton Delaval, a mile or so inland from Seaton Sluice, and they were major landowners in the area. A ship called the Astley was apparently launched at Seaton Sluice in February 1826 (Durham County Advertiser), and there are records of it in the newspapers throughout the 1830's, its home port being Seaton Sluice

The final voyage in the record is dated October 1839 on the Lady Combermere and below this is, I am pretty sure, is written S. Sluice. There are quite a few references in the newspapers to the Lady Combermere sailing to various destinations and its port of origin is given as Seaton Sluice.

So - I think there's a possibility this could be him  :-\ If so - you have a possible place of origin.

There is the death of a Peter Tullock aged 50 in Gravesend in the 4th quarter of 1853. Given that the ships he served on were colliers engaged in mainly coastal trade, there is a vague possibility that this might be him?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
There is the death of a Peter Tullock aged 50 in Gravesend in the 4th quarter of 1853. Given that the ships he served on were colliers engaged in mainly coastal trade, there is a vague possibility that this might be him?

I think this might very well be him. He was buried 22nd November 1853, and his abode on the transcription is given as as 'Ship William Warkworth'. This could mean that the ship was called William Warkworth or more likely the 'William' of Warkworth.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
There are two possibles in ScotlandPeople for Peter Tulloch born on Shetland between 1800 and 1803 (discounting a third one who remained there all his life and died in 1896).

Peter Tulloch b.1800 at Lerwick to Alexr Tulloch/Ann Loggie

Peter Tulloch b.1801 at Bressay, Burra & Quarff to John Tulloch

If your Peter followed the Scottish naming convention, however, my bet would be on the son of John Tulloch given that his brothers are also called John, Thomas and William, just like his sons.

Ian

EDIT: I should have added that Bressay etc is only 4 miles from Lerwick by ferry.
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
Have U checked Tony Gott's superb Shetland website?

www.bayanne.info/shetland

Skoosh.

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.  The Shetland website has been very helpful and I am now certain that our man is Peter Tulloch born 1803 in Bressay.  Son of James Tulloch (1757-1820).  No mother mentioned but in between James' marriages to Grace Anderson and Catherine Linklater.  The giveaway for me is that whereas other family trees on this website show marriages and children and extended families, Peter was born, only the father mentioned, and no other relationships.  We have no way of knowing why.  Clearly he grew up and went away to sea, having nothing ever to go back for.

C

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
"Peter was born, only the father mentioned, and no other relationships."

That's even more remarkable than Jesus !

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Shetland suffered badly in the famine of the 1840's, it took many years to recover.

Skoosh.

Offline Joeyd13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 September 19 20:58 BST (UK) »
This is an old post but I wonder if you got any further with this? I’m a direct descendent of Peter Tulloch & my mother has been researching this line for some time. She did get help from the FH Society from Shetland also who helped her to locate the said Peter as son of John Tulloch actually & his mother was Lucy White & it looks like they didn’t marry. His likely DoB is 1801. Would love to know if you have found out anything else yourself. I am soon to visit Shetland to do some hands on research if at all possible.