Author Topic: Access to a record, William Cartwright Militia Record  (Read 1256 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Access to a record, William Cartwright Militia Record
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 May 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
I'm skeptical of it. But he was having children from 1890 onwards, although it appears he never married. The age is right (based off censuses 1891 and 1901 as there is no known birth registration) and the alleged birthplace is correct too. But I'm skeptical as I say. There's no 1871 or 1881 Census record for a William Cartwright born around 1866 in Newark.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
He joined the Militia Battalion (part time) of the Leicestershire regiment in December 1885 on a 6 year engagement.
He attended for training (which is about all he had to do) in 1886 and in June 1887 he transferred to the Militia Reserve which was a commitment to remain in the militia until his 6 years were up and to be ready to be called to the regular army.  He attended his 56 day training period in 1887 and 1888 but on 8 Jun 1888 was discharged "totally unfit" (no medical info on the record).
In 1885 he was living 7 Cardigan St Leicester, in 1887 at 27 Geary St Nottingham (?).

MaxD

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that! That's great. My William lived in Wigston by 1890 so it's not impossible I suppose but it would be difficult to prove that the two individuals are one and the same, despite the birth year and birthplace.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Is there an attestation date, rank, service number, details about parents etc? Because no William Cartwright born in Newark appears on any censuses in this time frame (except for mine in 1891).

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
He joined on 16 Dec 1885, he gave his age as 18 yrs 9 months, his place of birth only as Newark, trade was given as Trimmer and he worked for a Mr Tyler in Leicester (I have given the addresses).  His service number was 2125.  There is no other personal information (the army were not over bothered who your parents were!).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks! That's very helpful.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 02:27 BST (UK) »
I'm still not sure about whether or not this William Cartwright is my William Cartwright. The facts are:

Mine appears to be born around 1866, allegedly in Newark (1891 and 1901 Census). This man alleges he was born there in 1867. I can only find one William Cartwright born around that time, and that is my great-great-grandfather.

This man was discharged from the Leicestershire Regiment in 1888. Mine had his first son in Wigston, Leicestershire in 1890. He appears never to have married Ellen Dobson.

However, his army record gives an occupation of trimmer. In Wigston he was always a chimney sweep.

There is also not a single birth registered in Newark under the name William Cartwright in 1866 or 1867. This would suggest that both men (if they are not the same) were mistaken about their place of birth. There are two men named William Cartwright born in 1865 and 1866 in nearby Norwell, but in 1891 one of these is in Louth, and the other is in Bathley - both give their places of birth as Norwell. Mine is in Wigston in 1891, and gives his place of birth as Newark.

There are quite a few coincidences. The times and places are about right. The discharge fits nicely with the first child. The censuses match. But the trade has changed from trimmer to chimney sweep.