Author Topic: Do you have any feedback on DNAGedcom?  (Read 830 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Do you have any feedback on DNAGedcom?
« on: Sunday 27 May 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
I just heard that I am getting one of the 15,000 free My Heritage DNAQuest free DNA tests.  I am so busy learning about the tests, DNA, and analysing the results (in 6 weeks.)  I came across an analysis tool, DNAGedcom, but found very little mention of it here. 

http://www.dnagedcom.com

Their website says,

"The core of the team developing this project noticed a need for documents and tools to interpret the results of DNA tests that people were taking for genealogical guidance. The tools and documents were primarily for the use of Adoptees looking for birth family but are not limited to that purpose. In addition to the first data extraction and manipulation tools, there is a need for additional analysis and modelling of the data to the end of developing decision making software that will construct actual relationships from Chromosome data and from comparing gedcoms which are data extracts from family trees."

I'd welcome comments.

Martin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any feedback on DNAGedcom?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 May 18 14:01 BST (UK) »

The core of the team developing this project

Ask yourself what do you know about the "core of the team", who are they, where are they (America). What rules are they committed to re privacy, what else do they intend to do with your data, what are their security arrangements, and so on and so on.

It is your choice but knowing so little about a company I would not use them
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
David, thanks.  I am really more interested in the quality of the tools.  Re Privacy, I will be leaving my DNA accessible to anyone who washes cutlery I use this week.  I don't mean to sound harsh, though.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
DNAGedcom is a good tool for downloading match lists for further analysis. They are continuing to develop their offerings, including clustering using the Collins-Leeds method.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn