Author Topic: Irishman serving 2RMF kia France 090515 where can I get his death cert  (Read 1330 times)

Offline lough81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irishman serving 2RMF kia France 090515 where can I get his death cert
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 May 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all and thanks for those replies. I must get a copy of the war diaries to see if there is an entry relating to the Mid(s) and also must get on to uk gro although I know the Irish gro has pre independence records but perhaps the military ones stayed in the UK. I read how he was identified but am wondering what happened to his watch after it was returned to the army? Was a sergeant provided with an army issue watch or was it a personal possession?
Rgds J

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 May 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
A little more.  Longlongtrail has a good piece on the battle including a map showing the "southern pincer" where 2 RMF were deployed
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/the-battle-of-aubers/.
In close up the map/image at:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.5696&lon=2.7660&layers=101464978&right=BingHyb
 shows the section of the Rue du Bois from square 9 to square 10 which was the section for 2 RMF across which the attack took place (ignore the trench markings, they are from 1917, can't find a 1915 one!)  The place where Sjt O'Donoghue was found after the war is in square S 16, where the ploughed field is today.

The only entry relating to the MID is, as I posted before, the listing in the war diary for 15 Jan 1916.

It will be interesting to see what the certificate says in that officially, until he was found, he was "missing presumed dead".

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
There were issue pocket watches (wrist watches came later, 1917 onwards) but my guess is that his would have been a personal item engraved with his name, an issue watch would not have his name and any serial number would be untraceable after the war.

There is by the way no sign of another MID in the London Gazette.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lough81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your hard work MaxD, it is greatly appreciated. The information that there was a second mid came from a source in an association working to remember those on the western front, but when I checked back with them they couldn't find the record. The burial at Cabaret Rouge clearly states identified by uniform, boots and watch and clearly states the watch was returned, but to whom (Info from CWGC site)?,regards and thanks j