Author Topic: William Innes 17th century burial Nether Dallachy  (Read 2127 times)

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Innes 17th century burial Nether Dallachy
« on: Monday 28 May 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
I am researching my friends family tree and her 9th gt grandfather was William Innes born c 1614 at Nether Dallachy (son of 1st Bt Robert Innes and Grizel Stuart) His son Andrew worked and died in Bristol so i cannot be sure that William died in Scotland.

Any help appreciated

David

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: William Innes 17th century burial Nether Dallachy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi David just came across your post.

I checked the birth index at Scotlands people for a William Innes born c.1614 in the Nether Dallachy area and the only one found was for 1612 registered in Elgin which is around 12 miles away but his father was William. Can I ask where you got his parents names from as perhaps I have missed something.

Looking at death records on the index there are two in the area one for 1696 and the other for 1680 both in Duffus around 17 miles from Nether Dallachy.

Probably no help to you as Scottish death records pre official registration in 1855 contain very little information. Sometimes just a name, date and place. If you are lucky you may get an age.

Good luck in your search.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
It isn't safe to assume that, just because there is only one possible candidate in the baptism records, they are the person you are looking for.

Have you checked LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp to see if there is a record of a gravestone?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
I am working using the following.

http://www.thepeerage.com/p68774.htm#i687737

+ the attached images

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
I am working using the following.
http://www.thepeerage.com/p68774.htm#i687737
+ the attached images
That looks pretty solid. Very interesting too.

My comment about not making assumptions was really directed at the person who suggested the Elgin baptism and Duffus deaths. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
I am the PERSON who made the suggestions regarding the Elgin and Duffus POSSIBLE links.

My reply was given working from the information given in the original post and I did say perhaps I had missed something and asked the poster for more information.

Please do not be so nippy with your replies as it can put people of trying to help.

Thank you,

Dorrie

P.S. David Pikney I apologise to you for this.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
I am the PERSON who made the suggestions regarding the Elgin and Duffus POSSIBLE links.

My reply was given working from the information given in the original post and I did say perhaps I had missed something and asked the poster for more information.

Please do not be so nippy with your replies as it can put people of trying to help.

Thank you,

Dorrie

P.S. David Pikney I apologise to you for this.

I am sorry if you felt I was being 'nippy' - it was certainly not intentional. My apologies.

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
Its all too easy to see typed text as the wrong message, different when in person, i'm sure nobody meant offence anyway :)

i suppose the info i am missing is Andrew's baptism (i don't know if this was in Scotland) and Baptism/Marriage/Burial for William.

The family were well to do in the 17th/18th century and they contributed greatly in Bristol in later generations.

The family descend illegitimately from James V of scotland

David

Offline TerrySBaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you David Pinkney for adding the very clear photo of the church memorial for Andrew Innys alias Innes. Is this memorial in St. John's church or chapel in Bristol?  The M.I. says that Andrew died on 29 Dec. 1723 in the 82nd year of his life, which gives his birth year as 1742.
His father William Innes has the letters A.M. after his name which was an earlier way of writing M.A. This suggests that he may have been a clergyman. However, info regarding his youngest daughter Martha, who married John Cossins of St. Paul's churchyard London, who retired to Bristol and built Redland Court, shows that members of the the Innys/Innes family had a stationers business in or around St. John's churchyard as well as in Bristol. If Andrew's father William was one of these (quite likely) Wiliam may have been buried in London, possibly at St. Faith's under St. Paul's.
In addition to using the peerage.com I have also used the subscription site Stirnet Genealogy. This also shows that this branch of the Innes family are descended from King James V of Scotland and one of his mistresses Margaret Erskine.
I also use Ancestry and Find My Past, but have only done a little so far vai Ancestry. Find baptisms for the Innys family has so far proved to be elusive.