Author Topic: Appropriate or inappropriate old sayings  (Read 7904 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Appropriate or inappropriate old sayings
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 May 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
CLOOTIE DUMPLING

Whit ye need
Punna self raisin floor
Punna currants an a haunfa o’ raisins
Quartera punna suet
Haufa pun granulatit sugar
Fower wee teaspoonsfa o’ mixed spice
A big pincha saut, some mulk

How ye dae it
Rummle up the hale jing-bang in the boul, addin a wee tate mulk so’s ye get a dough that’s stiff an no runny
Tim some bilin watter oot the kettle inty the fit o’ the basin an’
Spread the cloot oan top o’ the watter
Coup the hale o’ yur dough oot the bowl an’ on tae the cloot in the basin. Draw the coarners o’ the clootie gather an’ tie wi’ the string. Don’t tie the string too tight or the dumpling might burst efter swelling upan’ ye’d be in a hangaua mess. Noo ye’ve a big bag o’d dough about the size o’ a fitba. Next ye pit a plate in the fit o’ the big poat. Then ye gently lower the dumpling oan tae the plate.
Efter theat poor as much bilin’ watter intae the poat as will cover yur dumpling.
Efter a’ this cairry-oan ye’ll mibbe want a cuppa tea an’ a fag or evena wee dram. Anyway whitivvur ye dae don’t let the dumplin simmer fur mair than three-an-a-hauf hoors. Efter that time wheech it oot the poat an oan tae a plate. Peel aff the cloot an’ therr ye hauv a dish fit tae set afore a dizzen Royal Thingamys!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Oh wow -- Rootschatters are wonderful!

In these last few messages I have been taught a new Irish word -- 'devarting'. My mother in law was from Westmeath - (she must never have 'devarted' as she never used that word) ---- reminded of Vimto -- (I didn't realise that wasn't a countrywide drink) ----- and also had a Scottish cookery lesson!

Brilliant. Thank you to everyone who joined in.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
jaybeinz, can just smell it! A slice of it fried the next day is my fav'  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
My mother in law was from Westmeath - (she must never have 'devarted' as she never used that word)
My grandmother was from Westmeath too - also never 'devarted' but talked about 'mortages' [mortgage] & 'fillums' [films].

What a hoot your recipe is jaybelnz, loved the bit about needing a wee dram. I once made a vegetarian cloutie dumpling for my workmates at Perth Royal Infirmary - there were no complaints so I must have done it right!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 03:47 BST (UK) »
You like CLOOTIE Dumpling then???  I  ;D ;D I've actually never eaten it, as per the recipe,  as I don't like raisins or sultanas. My Grandmother and Mum both made the full fruit version, but a couple of small ones without the fruit also went " Inta the post" - just for me.

My Dad and my 2 brothers loved the fruit recipe version, and would also fry up the leftovers!  They did the same with Christmas Cake, but I got to eat the lovely Christmas Cake icing! 

There's only one kind of fruit cake that I will eat and enjoy. It has sultanas and tinned fruit salad in the recipe!  Very Yummy! 😜
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 May 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
My Mother to my Brother who was always climbing on walls: "If you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me"  ???
If we were messing about with sticks...."you'll have somebody's eye out with that" I never knew any one-eyed kids when I was growing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 June 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
It was never said directly to me, but my Mum told me there was an old Scottish saying - "ye'll get Ye'er heid in ye'er honds and Ye'er teeth tae play with"!  Ouch - that sounds a bit rough! 😜

I was lucky enough when I visited Scotland and was able to have recorded one of my elderly Scottish relatives reading the Clootie Dumpling recipe out in her lovely Scottish Accent!  We had to do it twice, because she kept laughing, but I have it on a CD!  Haven't had it out for years, but now I'm feeling it's time to dig it out and have a laugh.  ;D ;D ;D

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 June 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
Back to never cast a clout before May is out

we always took that to mean you shouldn't take your vest off before the end of May

"Clout" also meant a slap

but "Clouts" is a very old slang word for pants

When it was raining heavily it was said "it's not fit to turn a dog out"

This used to annoy me when I was sent off to school in the pouring rain with Mother saying "It's not fit to turn a dog out off you go  straight to school now"

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
I was eight years old. Not very sporty, but I had been given an old lace-up leather football. I spent one wet and windy afternoon kicking it around the local park. There was not one puddle that had not been splashed. I arrived home, bouncing the ball in front of me.

In our entrance hall, I gave it an extra hard bounce and it rose up to the ceiling. I left a perfectly round mark and imprint of the laces. I stood there in horror.

My mother saw the mark and uttered the words that have stayed with me for over 50 years -

"I spent all morning, on my hands and knees, scrubbing that ceiling!"
Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia