Author Topic: "Ancestral Tablets" - pedigree books  (Read 1446 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Ancestral Tablets" - pedigree books
« on: Monday 28 May 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
As the family member most actively researching our background I have been lent two books containing pedigrees, neither of which is of my direct family.  I have been asked for advice on the best way of reproducing the contents for the benefit of the wider family, most of whom will only be interested in spotting any celebrities!
The title of the books is as shown on the subject line above and the first printed page reads:

A collection of diagrams for pedigrees
so arranged that
Eight generations of the Ancestors of any Person
may be recorded in a connected and simple form.

by
William H. Whitmore, A.M.
London
Elliot Stock, 62 Paternoster Row, E.C.
All rights reserved

A page of explanation including a publication date of 1885 follows.  The system of entry is ingenious and includes cut-out spaces which allow cross--referencing.  Eight generations per page cover, on the male side, 1596-1858.  One of the volumes has data very neatly entered, the other less so.
Google showed me that a modern version of these books was offered more recently but reviews on a current web site indicate that it was not successful.

My reason for posting here is to ask for suggestions about how the entries in these books could be extracted for the benefit of other family members.  The records are mostly dates of birth/baptism, marriage, death or burial, some with place or church.  There are a couple of extended pedigrees with more interest to the wider family: one with a line of descent from Alfred the Great, another from Edward III.  These have not been verified!  These and other pedigrees have been inserted without conforming to the publisher's plan.

I am not able to transcribe all the data into RootsMagic (which holds my own data files), but would welcome any views on methods which could be used by others.

Thanks for ploughing through!
Ainslie

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: "Ancestral Tablets" - pedigree books
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
Ainslie, I'd like to see a few sample pictures.

Martin

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Would an Excel spreadsheet work? Or the equivalent from Open Office?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Ainslie, I'd like to see a few sample pictures.

I would too, sounds very elaborate & can't visualise it?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
I, too, am struggling to imagine what the pages might look like so is there a chance of scanning a page, which would give us something to work from?

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
As the family member most actively researching our background I have been lent two books containing pedigrees, neither of which is of my direct family.  I have been asked for advice on the best way of reproducing the contents for the benefit of the wider family, most of whom will only be interested in spotting any celebrities!
The title of the books is as shown on the subject line above and the first printed page reads:

A collection of diagrams for pedigrees
so arranged that
Eight generations of the Ancestors of any Person
may be recorded in a connected and simple form.

by
William H. Whitmore, A.M.
London
Elliot Stock, 62 Paternoster Row, E.C.
All rights reserved

A page of explanation including a publication date of 1885 follows.  The system of entry is ingenious and includes cut-out spaces which allow cross--referencing.  Eight generations per page cover, on the male side, 1596-1858.  One of the volumes has data very neatly entered, the other less so.
Google showed me that a modern version of these books was offered more recently but reviews on a current web site indicate that it was not successful.

My reason for posting here is to ask for suggestions about how the entries in these books could be extracted for the benefit of other family members.  The records are mostly dates of birth/baptism, marriage, death or burial, some with place or church.  There are a couple of extended pedigrees with more interest to the wider family: one with a line of descent from Alfred the Great, another from Edward III.  These have not been verified!  These and other pedigrees have been inserted without conforming to the publisher's plan.

I am not able to transcribe all the data into RootsMagic (which holds my own data files), but would welcome any views on methods which could be used by others.

Thanks for ploughing through!
Ainslie

Hello Ainsly, I would be happy to scan the two books for you.
This would enable you to send PDFs of the books to others.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interest.  I will attempt a scan or photo of a representative page, or part of one, as the originals are over A4 size.  If  I do not succeed I will ask for email addresses as that may be easier for me.  Previous attampts at attaching here have often proved difficult. 
As they are not my property I am reluctant to pass the books outside the house, but thank you for the offer, Guy.
Ainslie.