Author Topic: Charles Thorogood, injured 1918  (Read 1538 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Thorogood, injured 1918
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 May 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
The documents that come up are lists made on 20 August 1918 and 15 November 1918 with the info Jomot has given.

A few minutes on Google will turn up information on the three camps mentioned.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 May 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks! That's very helpful.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 May 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Why do some soldiers have two service numbers? For example, Frank Thorogood has 200945 and 3482 on his medal card.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
The most common reason and the one that which applies in his case is that his enlistment was in a Territorial Force battalion ie he wasn't a regular soldier.  His first number was 3482.  In mid 1917 the Territorial Force was re-numbered, 200945 was in the block allocated to 7th Battalion Middlesex.

However, (there is always a however) this is not the only reason for a man having more than one number.  Complex subject.  Lots to study here:
http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/03/queens-kings-regulations-regimental.html
and
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-the-tf-infantry-in-1917/
and here with other links:
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I'll take a look at all of that later.