Author Topic: Marriage Look-up please  (Read 3613 times)

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look-up please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this conundrum.  Like Philip I am completely baffled by this one.

Annette, you are spot on with Lilian's birth and 3 of her 4 children - no marriage found for Lily and Albert. However, I have a marriage in 1915 (Gloucester - have certificate) to George Holtham - there are several spellings of this surname.  I can't find them on the 1939 register or a record of their deaths.  Not sure where the children were between 1915 - 1939. However, they do show up in the 1939 register with two living in Gloucester, son Albert Henry died in 1923 Gloucester and one is in Oxford. 

There are a few trees on ancestry with Priscilla Lilian Winifred May Dew marrying Herbert Emery Smith; which have my Lily's details with regard to her family etc... 

I did see that findmypast are going to have the Elham parish records shortly, so will have to wait until then to fathom out this little puzzle.

Once again thanks everyone for your help.
Tilly

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry for confusion.  The 26yr old Priscilla Smith born Leeds found arriving Quebec 1922 is on the 1901 census with parents so was born as Smith. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
How intriguing - and, right now, more questions than answers.

So, Lily/Lillian Winifred May Hamblin has 4 children (how did I miss one) with Albert Henry Dew (no marriage traced) and after he dies in 1913 she remarries to a George Holtham in 1915.   Can only see the banns online which show that she was a widow with all her 3 Christian names shown but on the marriage index it just shows her as plain Lillian Dew.   No trace of a George and Lillian Holtham after the 1915 marriage.

Then we have a Priscilla L W Dew marrying Herbert Emery Smith in 1916 Elham, and a daughter Edna May born 1917 Elham (who I've just noticed has mmn as Dew!!).

So, if Priscilla L W Dew was a single lady, as daughter Edna's birth would suggest, where did she come from as no-one of that name in UK births or census?

BUT

If 'Priscilla' was actually Lily/Lillian Winifred May Hamblin as online tree states (which seems pretty well researched to me) it would explain why a) her Dew children remained in the UK (may well have abandoned them), b) she married Herbert Emery Smith as 'Dew' prefixing her name with 'Priscilla' and presumably omitting that she had married a George Holtham in 1915.  Did she leave him as well as her earlier children?   If so, quite a lot of subterfuge by this lady.

I can see how important the 1916 Elham marriage is but at the same time has she fabricated the information she gave?

You say you have the marriage certificate to George Holtham in 1915 - what details does it give for him, are you able to identify who he was?

What a conundrum!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
So, Lily/Lillian Winifred May Hamblin has 4 children (how did I miss one) with Albert Henry Dew (no marriage traced) and after he dies in 1913 she remarries to a George Holtham in 1915.   Can only see the banns online which show that she was a widow with all her 3 Christian names shown but on the marriage index it just shows her as plain Lillian Dew.   No trace of a George and Lillian Holtham after the 1915 marriage.

You say you have the marriage certificate to George Holtham in 1915 - what details does it give for him, are you able to identify who he was?

(MODIFIED - Philip)

FreeBMD has marriage:
Sep qtr 1915 Gloucester vol 6a p906a HOLTOM George, DEW Lilian

Given the other marriage
Sep qtr 1916 Elham vol 2a p2401 - SMITH Herbert E, DEW Priscilla L W
I am beginning to wonder if Lilian and Priscilla are two different people.

I do think we need the information from the 1915 marriage to see what we can learn about the parents.  There is a possible death
Mar qtr 1971  Gloucester C vol 7b p1158 HOLTHAM George Frederick, born 17Au1884
but without more information I have no idea if this is connected.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
However, I have a marriage in 1915 (Gloucester - have certificate) to George Holtham

If she was born as Hamblin then her fathers name on the 1915 cert should be Walter Hamblin.    Is it?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 22:02 BST (UK) »

I do think we need the information from the 1915 marriage to see what we can learn about the parents.  There is a possible death

Philip
[/quote]

7 Aug 1915 in the Parish Church , Maisemore:

George Holt....( name is illegible ) 29,  bachelor, labourer of Gloucester, father John Holt....
Lilian Winifred May ( surname not given under name and surname) 24 , widow of Maisemore , father Henry Hamblin , labourer
signatures : George Holtom and Lilian Winifred May Dew

The Clergyman has entered a correction in the margin , confirming Lilian's full name.

EDIT : the correction is dated Nov 8 1916
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
So - father Henry not Walter - interesting!!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
There is a possible death

George Frederick Holtham married Norah Kembery Berry  in Gloucs 1910 and she only died in 1966

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 May 18 00:25 BST (UK) »
So - father Henry not Walter - interesting!!

Her father was actually Walter Henry Hamblin but seemed to use second name.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.