Author Topic: [Elizabeth] Alice SHARP nee BRASS ??  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: [Elizabeth] Alice SHARP nee BRASS ??
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Death of Thomas A. LEA :  (husband of Elizabeth Alice LEA)

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MS19141226.2.18

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
And a very frosty morning to you.

Another full on day ahead of me so unable to do justice to the research you are doing for this project, so a BIG THANKYOU.

Greetings LU - yes I have not experienced this problem before with NZ B D & M's but I' also wondering about their accuracy, without buying a lot of copies of the registrations.

LADY MARY has sent me a copy of the 1893 electoral roll with a number of Pukekohe East women there on highlighted. One thereon I could only place if a daughter of a woman I have information on, gained from searching the original ledgers in an Auckland down town bacement in November 1979 !

My notes show a birth entry submitted by the child's Grand Father, a Minister, but when I had a quick look last night, I could not find it with the Chriastian names I had recorded, BUT the other name on the electoral roll fits with family names, would have been born the same year 1872, yet I can not find further details about her. Don't know if twins or what. And no time to investigate further now.

Now looks like my research then into Pukekohe East pioneers was not a thorough as I thought.

Regarding Mrs Alice SHARP. I just don't know. information supplied to me many years ago by family implied that she was a formerly married woman, bringing the to boys to the new relationship. It was stated that they were pupils of the local scholl but I can not find their names listed in the reunion book.

1916 was definitely the year that Sandy left Gordonton as it is evident on the mortgage document that I have a copy of. I wonder if a divorce went through in 1916 ?

Must go - already late.  THANKS EVERY ONE. Eventually we will have info for the Pukekohe ladies on this project.

NZ World leader in many things.  Including land title and civil registrations. Got a lot to be thankfull for, even if transcribing has not been as accurate as we would like.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 21:30 BST (UK) »

LADY MARY has sent me a copy of the 1893 electoral roll with a number of Pukekohe East women there on highlighted. One thereon I could only place if a daughter of a woman I have information on, gained from searching the original ledgers in an Auckland down town bacement in November 1979 !

My notes show a birth entry submitted by the child's Grand Father, a Minister, but when I had a quick look last night, I could not find it with the Chriastian names I had recorded, BUT the other name on the electoral roll fits with family names, would have been born the same year 1872, yet I can not find further details about her. Don't know if twins or what. And no time to investigate further now.

Now looks like my research then into Pukekohe East pioneers was not a thorough as I thought.

Alan.

Hello Alan  .... you've sort of "lost me" with the above ^^  ??? 
Does it actually apply to the search for Elizabeth Alice SHARP (w/o Alexander William John SHARP) ???

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry Lu just out the door.

Another of that clan. Descendants of William SHARP, Pukekohe East.

My records have Elizabeth Agnes SHARP daughter of Wm and Cecilia Brown [Doull] SHARP b 1872 d 1874.

Yet the 1893 electorial roll has a Cecilia Jane SHARP household duties, and upon looking up B D & M that Christian name finds a 1872 registration to same parents.  Twins ??  Step grand daughter to Helen SHARP nee SHARP. Motgher was living at Ramarama but teacher at Pukekohe East school 5th July 1869 to Sept 1891. Cauight train to and from Pukekohe and walked the crater across country to P/E School each day.

In haste have found no other records for Ceceila Jane SHARP b 1872.

Alan.

Alan.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
So if you are specifically looking at the Alice SHARP nee BRASS, then there are 2 deaths that fit a c1880 birth (as per reply #2):

Alice SHARP dec 1961 notes in probate (Reply #7 & #15) that sons are Thomas Arthur LEA, George Elton LEA and Alexander Thomas SHARP.   
Alice SHARP dec 1967 has a gravestone inscription in Pukerau (Gore) https://www.goredc.govt.nz/do-it-online/search-it/cemeteries/view/6881  There are 5 interments: Alexander Junior (Lex), Alice, Jane,  Alexander, & Norman.

Two opposite ends of the country for a start.

The BDMH screenshots for the two possible Alexander SHARP marriages and subsequent offspring are attached.  Edit: removed 2 births that I can't verify deaths for, otherwise all persons named here are deceased.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Alan ... as I mentioned earlier, the Alice BRASS (married 1908 to Alexander SHARP), is not the same woman as the "[Elizabeth] Alice SHARP" you are seeking.

For the purposes of the elimination of Alice SHARP - nee BRASS
, here is a copy of the death certificate of her son Alexander ("Lex") SHARP (born 1908 - birth registered at Gore ) died 1934 aged  25 yrs.       >

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9R7-TL11?i=420&cc=1865481

~ Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Therefore reply #23 proves that the Alice SHARP nee BRASS is the Alice buried in Pukerau.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 00:48 BST (UK) »

Regarding Mrs Alice SHARP. I just don't know. information supplied to me many years ago by family implied that she was a formerly married woman, bringing the to boys to the new relationship. It was stated that they were pupils of the local scholl but I can not find their names listed in the reunion book.

1916 was definitely the year that Sandy left Gordonton as it is evident on the mortgage document that I have a copy of. I wonder if a divorce went through in 1916 ?

Alan.

Some clarification is needed I think, Alan ?   ;D

Regarding Mrs Alice SHARP :   
*   This lady was actually Elizabeth Alice SHARP - formerly LEA - widow of Thomas Allen LEA d. 1914. 
*   Married 1916 to Alexander William John SHARP. 
*   According to the death notice of Alexander W.J. SHARP (1923) she was known as "Alice".
*   The two sons of the union of Elizabeth Alice and Thomas Allen LEA were >
Thomas Arthur LEA (b. 1906 - Lancashire, ENG) and George Elton LEA (birth registered 1913 at Palmerston North, NZ).   England records show her likely maiden name as HIGGINBOTHAM.
*    A further son, Alexander Thomas SHARP was born 1918 of her union with Alexander William John SHARP.
*    Her death is recorded in 1961 as "Elizabeth Alice SHARP" .
*    She is buried at Pukekohe Cemetery, Wesleyan Section :   
*    Her headstone inscription reads > " SHARP - Elizabeth Alice, our dear Mother, 30 September 1961".

~  Lu

Edits to make corrections to dates etc.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lu.

From what I have been told and what I have researched the above post of your's is the best fit particularly of information informally given me over 30 years ago. The informants now all being deceased.

The key for me is that the mortgage transfers were registered in the name of Elizabeth Alice SHARP, so that is what ties it in for me.

So a big thank you. I can safely complete the bio with confidence. The information I had implied that Mrs Lea and her two boys were at Gordonton with Alexander SHARP, before he left in 1916 and returned to Auckland. But I can not find a school roll listing confirming that in their reunion book.

No one had given me Sandy's actual wedding date, so that is what threw me when I went looking on line, with historic B D & M's.  I do not have Ancestry and other subscriptions so am limited in what historical records I can look up from home.

Many thanks,

Alan.