Author Topic: Relatives who possibly served in the Great War  (Read 2027 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Relatives who possibly served in the Great War
« on: Tuesday 29 May 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

As I am well aware, many records from WW1 are hard to trace. But I'd appreciate any efforts. I recall one impressive record being found for Frank Thorogood that completely profiled his service.

I've searched for the following as they have rare names and were of age for conscription:

Gilbert Pepper, born 1884, Cambridge. There is a Gilbert Pepper awarded the British and Victory medals. Royal Engineers. Service number WR/330032. Not sure if this man is the same who is a younger brother to my great-great-grandfather Frank - last seen with him in 1911 in Eltham. Don't know when he died.

Morris Lipman, born 1887, Shoreditch. There are two medal indexes, but one died. Mine died in Romford in 1948. The one that may be him is in the Army Service Corps. Service number R/359173.

I'd appreciate any help, although I realise it will be difficult to investigate,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Relatives who possibly served in the Great War
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 08:02 BST (UK) »

Gilbert Pepper, born 1884, Cambridge. There is a Gilbert Pepper awarded the British and Victory medals. Royal Engineers. Service number WR/330032. Not sure if this man is the same who is a younger brother to my great-great-grandfather Frank - last seen with him in 1911 in Eltham. Don't know when he died.

Have you looked to see if he married.  If he did have you checked where and when any children were born. 

Have you looked for him in 1939  so that a time frame for his death can be established  :-\   

As you have said many WW1 records were destroyed, those that are available are on Ancestry / F M P
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Commonwealth War Graves site to see if he died?  Have you checked both Find my Past and Ancestry - as Rosie says if the records survived then that is where they are.  Your Frank Thorogood just happened to be one of the 40% that did survive.
It isn't really a question of being hard to trace (which implies that they are there somewhere to be found).  As the National Archives info makes clear http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-after-1913/ with the exception of a very small number of pension records all surviving records (for discharges before 1920) are on one or other of the subscription sites.  You obviously have quite a list so a sub to both sites would be well worth it.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
There's no war grave for this Gilbert so presumably he survived. He is on the 1939 register in Bexley, born 1884. And yes it looks like I will be needing a subscription; my birthday is next month so I may ask for one.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Probably married in 1914 in the Lewisham district as that's not far from Eltham.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
That's v sensible indeed.  Meanwhile free access at a local library is worth looking into as Rosie has suggested before.

To help your list, his service record is among the non-survivors. He was in the Inland Waterways element of the RE so if his pre war trade was to do with barges etc then it might be your man but it can't be proven.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
His occupation looks like carman (as the transcription on FamilySearch also says) on the 1911 Census so I'm not sure. I only really looked into him because it's an uncommon name and he would have been eligible for conscription.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
Does his service record give a date of birth?

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
I can't make out his rank from his medal index card - it looks like a scribble to me  ;D then under remarks something is noted upon that I can't make out either.

P.S. I did try to attach the file and a screenshot of the section but it was too large