Author Topic: Norfolk Island prisoners  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk Island prisoners
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 June 18 06:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabeljessie, that is very interesting information you have shared.  I have been on a steep learning curve with the Norfolk Island and secondary transportation system.  I will have to search out Justice John Barry's book to further my education.

Thanks also JM.  I have looked at the NSW Archives online guide.  It lists information that I think could be of help to me but unfortunately they are not online records  :'(

Marlene  :)
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 June 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
These records are, obviously, not all for the same man (all about the same age) - It would seem that your man is the one convicted in 1819, but I've included the others as someone else may be searching at another time.

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 for John Lamb

1819 Lent Assizes, Worcester
John LAMB,
housebreaking, sentence: death
(This would be the 'original conviction' found by matthewj64)

This man (recorded as John LAMBE) seems to have been received on the UK prison hulk Retribution from Worcester gaol 9 July 1819, (convicted 5 Mar 1819) and was transported 1 October 1819.  this record doesn't give the ship, but a later record suggests it was the Prince Regent

1823, Old Bailey, October sessions,  Trial text at oldbaileyonline.org
John LAMB
The Old Bailey website gives this information for this man:
1799  Imprisoned in Newgate
22 October 1822, Age 23
Accused of that he, on the 15th of july, being servant to william leighton , john paley , william petty , and lawrence harrison , did steal from them one 100 l., two 50 l. and three 30 l. bank post bills. Found guilty. Sentenced to fourteen years transportation.
Transported to New south wales, 22nd April 1823, per ship Ocean.

1834 Epiphany sessions, Worcestershire
John LAMB, 35, convicted for larceny, sentence: imprisonment for 6 months - no evidence that this man was transported.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 June 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
This may be a newspaper report of the case Judith and Matthew have referred to:

Worcester Journal 11 March 1819

Sentence of death was passed upon the following... Thomas Miles, Frederick Burke and John Lamb, for breaking into and robbing in the day time, the house of J Rogers of Kidderminster. (Samuel Taylor, charged with the same offence , was acquitted).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 June 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Good find Millmoor.  I had a trawl through British Newspapers on NLA but couldn't find any mention except a passing reference in another newspaper that all prisoners who were condemned to death at Worcester Lent Assizes 1819 had been granted reprieve.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 June 18 03:10 BST (UK) »
Judith and William - Thank you both very much  :D  Some more excellent information for me to add to my John Lamb file.

I've seen Frederick Burke's name in the convict ship list to VDL above John Lamb's.  I thought they may have been connected because both had the same trial date and place and the same occupation, (carpet weavers).  To have proof positive is very welcome  :D

I really can't thank all the Rootschatters who have helped me enough, you're all so generous with your genealogical talents and time  :)

With appreciation,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)