Author Topic: Who were Charles Essex's parents?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Frenchy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Who were Charles Essex's parents?
« on: Tuesday 29 May 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

The marriage return for Charles Essex to Lizzie Lavina Freeman, 1886 in Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana shows his parents as 'C Essex' and 'Manda (Illegible)'. How would I go about finding the record from which this information was transcribed so that I may, hopefully, correctly identify his parents as they are a complete mystery. Any help is much appreciated.

Chris
French/Franc(e)y/Francis, Ellis, Friel, Walsh, Gray, Lynch - Donegal/Tyrone, Ireland and Canada
Wootton - Staffordshire/Middlesex
Go(u)lding - Worcestershire/ Middlesex,
Car(e)less - Staffordshire
Minal, Wood - Middlesex
Birleson/Burleson, Jameson - Durham/ Middlesex
Boatman - Essex/ Middlesex
Wollherr, Hoppe, Reissner, Kloss - Prussia, Germany
Lawrence - Surrey/ Kent
Coulthard - Durham

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Who were Charles Essex's parents?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
parents correctly transcribed

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-997W-VG8Y?i=109&cc=1410397

Death certificate does not help - parents unknown

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Frenchy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your help. Sorry, I should have been clearer - if 'Illegible' was written on the record, the information would have come from another record. It looks like the transcriber (of the written record) made an attempt at the name though (it clearly reads Manda). I'm trying to locate the original record so that I can hopefully read it myself.
French/Franc(e)y/Francis, Ellis, Friel, Walsh, Gray, Lynch - Donegal/Tyrone, Ireland and Canada
Minal, Wood - Middlesex
Lawrence - Surrey/ Kent
Coulthard - Durham

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
No clues on this record either

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L974-2HC5?i=253&cc=1410397

Nothing showing in UK GRO births (July 1863) to match Charles John Marten Essex either...........

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
There are lots of articles about them in the newspapers, but neither their marriage announcement or his obit mentions his parents or any of siblings he may of had.

==============

Palladium-Item
Richmond, Indiana
Saturday, June 11, 1927 - Page 2

CHARLES J. M. ESSEX Word has been received here of the death of Charles J. M. Essex, 63 years old, resident of Richmond for 21 years, which occurred at his home at Troy, Ohio, on Saturday as the result of an automobile accident Mr. Essex was a resident of Richmond from 1884 to 1905 and for a period of 15 years was employed by the M. C. Henley manufacturing company. - He was a native of London, England and was born there on July 28, 1863. Surviving are four children, Gertrude Essex, Troy; Mrs. Helen Hodges, Cleveland, Linden Essex, Troy, Herman Essex, New York City and Freeman Essex, Middletown and five grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at Troy Sunday afternoon and further services will be held at the chapel at Earlham cemetery at 1 o'clock

===============

Richmond, Indiana
Sunday, June 12, 1927 - Page 19

HURT FATAL TO CHARLES ESSEX
Former Resident. Victim at Troy; Burial to Occur Here Monday

Mr. Essex lived in Richmond from 1884 to 1908, when he moved to Troy. He suffered fatal Injuries last Sunday when the car in which he was riding with bis son, Linden, overturned. The son suffered severe injuries also.

Word of the death of Charles J. M. Essex, resident of Richmond for many years, which occurred at his home in Troy, O., Friday, as a result of injuries received in an automobile accident last Sunday has been received here. Mr. Essex was born in London, England, July 28, 1863. "He came to he United States in 1884 and settled down in this city. In 1888 he became a citizen of this country, receiving his naturalization papers in Richmond. For a period of 15 years Mr. Essex was connected with the M. C. Henley Manufacturing company here. Funeral services will be held at Troy this afternoon. The body will be brought to this city where it win lie in. the new chapel in Earlham cemetery from 12:30 to 1 o'clock Monday afternoon. At 1 o'clock brief services will be held and burial wiTi take place in the family lot where Mrs. Essex and four children are burled. Survivors include five children, Gertrude Essex, of Troy; Helen Hodges, of Cleveland; Linden Essex, of Troy; Herman Essex, of New York City and Freeman Essex, of Middletown, 0., and five grandchildren.

Offline Frenchy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
I believe he may possibly have been Charles John Martin born 1863 in Marylebone, London to Thomas Martin and Harriet Cherryman. This Charles' mother died in 1864 and his father remarried to Matilda Stanaway in 1866. His parents, with his older brother, emigrated to the US in 1867 but left Charles behind in England. I purchased this Charles' birth certificate but the birth date did not match that on the death certificate of Charles John Martin Essex. However, I know that death records aren't a reliable source for birth information. I have lots of information on both individuals but I've been unable to confirm whether or not they are one and the same person.
Minal, Wood - Middlesex
Lawrence - Surrey/ Kent
Coulthard - Durham

Offline Frenchy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
The 1881 England Census shows a Charles Martin, born about 1864 in Marylebone, London working as a footman to the Tinker family. The two youngest Tinker sons were born in New York, USA. I can't find this Charles in England following this census.

Charles Essex's naturalization record shows that he arrived in New York on April 22, 1884.
Minal, Wood - Middlesex
Lawrence - Surrey/ Kent
Coulthard - Durham

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the County Clerk's office in Wayne Co. for the original marriage certificate?