Author Topic: Disbanding of 3/10th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, WW1  (Read 2396 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Disbanding of 3/10th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, WW1
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
On a different note, he shows up on the weekly casualty list for the 26th of November 1918. Why would he be listed then when the Armistice was signed on the 11th of November, more than two weeks before the list? Presumably if it was weekly then it couldn't have been a delayed announcement.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Communication in the pre Facebook era was not as quick as today!!

The 26 November is the date it was published.
The list was issued by the War Office on 22 November.
The fact that it is called a weekly list doesn't mean that the casualties listed were only suffered during the previous week.
You have seen how many men are named on just one list, it takes a considerable time to collate the names from across the army.
And no you can't tell exactly when a man was wounded from the list.
When the armistice was signed has no bearing at all on this.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
I’ve made a discovery! I found the list of Middlesex Regiment soldiers which features battalions served in etc. Three people after Alexander, and two service numbers, is Private Leonard Beagles. His discharge papers reveal that he enlisted on the 9th of December 1915. Presumably Alexander would have enlisted before him, and was therefore not conscripted but volunteered.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Possible but not conclusive I'm afraid. Often spare numbers were used in an ad hoc manner. He could have gone in under the Derby scheme, jumped before being pushed you might say.
If you can find other similar numbers (the more the better) all with a similar attestation date adds to the possibility.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Oh :( that’s a shame. I looked at most of the surrounding numbers but only medal indexes survived for them.

On the medal roll listing all the men with their serial numbers, in the column titled ‘theatres of war in which served’ it says ‘to’ with everyone’s ranks listed and ‘from’, which has a mix of noughts and crosses. Some then have ticks next to the noughts. Seeing as Private Beagles was discharged early (and has a cross) could this have something to do with being medically discharged?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Beagles was discharged on 13 May 1918 with a disability caused by wounds with a Silver War Badge, his entry has SWB pencilled against it.  X appears with others without a SWB. 

The pencil notes look as if they had a significance to the clerks checking some aspect of the issue /engraving of the medals, I suggest they have no relevance to the search for your man's enlistment date.

For info, Derby Scheme explained here: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/the-group-scheme-derby-scheme/

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max! I didn’t think they were connected to enlistment; on the contrary, I thought they might be connected to discharge.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Understood - no to that also!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk