Author Topic: Mormon Church Family History Resource File Viewer  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mormon Church Family History Resource File Viewer
« on: Wednesday 30 May 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Is there any way of being able to install this old technology (1998) on a Windows 10 computer.   It is needed to be able to read the older LDS CDs such as Vital Records Index British Isles etc.   My virus checker would not allow it to load for me.  Unfortunately I am not terribly good with all this technology.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mormon Church Family History Resource File Viewer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Is there any way of being able to install this old technology (1998) on a Windows 10 computer.   It is needed to be able to read the older LDS CDs such as Vital Records Index British Isles etc.   My virus checker would not allow it to load for me.  Unfortunately I am not terribly good with all this technology.

Andcarred

There are three answers to this Yes, No and Maybe, whichever is correct depends on your computer.
If you have a 32bit machine then in most cases the LDS folio Views software and datasets will run in compatibility mode.
However you may also need to run Folio Views 4.02 the upgrade which came with disk 1 of the British Isles Vital Records Index and some other sets.

If you have a 64 bit machine (often one which came with Windows 10 installed from new) you may find it will work in compatibility mode but on other machines nothing will make the software run.
Folio software is still being produced and updated but it is not cheap, a cheap solution would be to buy a secondhand computer to run the software.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.