Author Topic: At Sea Navy Death  (Read 2075 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: At Sea Navy Death
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 May 18 04:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jomot. If it is him then he would be an Uncle to my ancestor not a brother as assumed. Have just found some interesting Greenwich School enrolments for a James born right time, brother John born at sea and sister Ann. Parents James and Mary with their wedding church month and year. Off to Kent board to do apost >:(

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 May 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
Could you simplify matters for me?  I don't know if I have this correct.

A son's marriage in 1859 (who and where?) - father named as James GILLIGAN, RN officer, deceased.
Son James (William) gives birthplace as Brompton.
Various dates 1828 to 1867, - is 1828 a birth year for James (William)?
James GILLIGAN senior not found on 1841 census
James GILLIGAN senior's probable wife is on 1841 census, but not with her family.
James GILLIGAN senior's probable wife is a widow on 1851 census (in Chatham?)

Possible wife born 1797 (what was her name?)
Possible brother born 1818 (is this James senior's brother of James Junior's brother? What was his name?)

Last definite sighting of James GILLIGAN senior 1828 (son's baptism)
James GILLIGAN likely to have died before 1851 (probable wife on census as a widow)

I think it would be very helpful to have names attached to dates and places.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 May 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
By heck that is the same James as mentioned above having his children enrolled at Grenwich Hospital School. Have since found he died at 8am 1 May 1832

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jomot. If it is him then he would be an Uncle to my ancestor not a brother as assumed.

I had assumed your ancestor was James (William) - I take it that isn't the case then?

There is a Certificate of Service for a James Gilligan which simply lists his ships from 1 Mar 1826 & shows his service ended 1 May 1832, which would tie in with the burial on 5 May 1832.

I note that the Greenwich School entry for John also states 'Father died 8am 1 May 1832'

Added:  It looks like he (James Sr) was a Cook & entered service 15 Dec 1820 (?)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
entered service 15 Dec 1820 (?)

No, that's wrong, its written next to the words 'former time' so must be length of service prior to the dates & ships listed, but I can't work out how as it's across 4 columns and says 15 12 2 0, and the final figures are 20 12 2 1
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Have been hacking away at these Gilligans in the hope that English records would throw some light back a generation. As you probably know that Irish records are a mine field of generally NONE prior to around 1820. They ARE relatives.