Author Topic: Transferred from the Manchester Reg to the King's Liverpool Reg 1st Battalion  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Citywizard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to find out more information about my great uncle John Ellor who died in WW1. He joined up with the Manchester Reg (1/7th ?) (no 2550) and later transferred to the King's Liverpool Reg 1st Garrison Battalion Reg (no 242982). He is buried in Cairo where I have just returned from having marked the 100th anniversary of his death.
If anyone can answer the following questions I would be so very grateful.
1) What Battalion he was with and where they fought while with the Manchester Reg? (Possibly     1/7th)
2) When and why was he transferred to the Kings Liverpool 1st Battalion?
I am thinking that he may of been wounded whilst with the Manchester Reg hence the reason for being transferred to the Kings Liverpool 1st Garrison but that is just a hunch. Any information would be really appreciated.
Regards
Paul

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transferred from the Manchester Reg to the King's Liverpool Reg 1st Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
First part of it from the medal roll.  That indicates he was with "1/7th Manchesters attached to TMB".  His medal card indicates he was first overseas at Gallipoli on 3 October 1915.  98 men are recorded joining the battalion on 23 October from UK which would fit given that men did not go direct.
The TMB he was attached to I first thought came later when the battalion went to France in March 1917.  There were four in the same division, the 42 Div TMB and three brigade TMBs in 125, 126 and 127 Bdes.
However, the overlap between the two battalions was in Egypt so the most likely place/date of transfer would be be
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transferred from the Manchester Reg to the King's Liverpool Reg 1st Battalion
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Summat wrong with the post!

Continuing - between Dec 1915 and Mar 1917 when the Manchesters went to France (the Garrison Bn stayed in Egypt).

Slight puzzle is the TMB, have to find out if there was one/four in Egypt.  Someone may know??

Without his service record much must be educated guesswork.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Citywizard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max, your info is very helpful. I have just arrived back from Cairo myself. I went over to mark the 100th anniversary of John Ellor's death (27th May 2018).
Thanks again for your valuable information.
Regards
Paul

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Loose end - from what I am reading, Trench Mortar Batteries as such were not formed until after Gallipoli so the attachment from 1/7 Manchesters to one of the no doubt newly formed TMBs in 42 Division would have come while in Egypt some time in 1916 early 1917.  Can't get nearer than that unless there is a history out there somewhere of the Manchester's time in Egypt.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk