Author Topic: Thomas Thompson of Carlton in Cleveland. Help required  (Read 3076 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Thompson of Carlton in Cleveland. Help required
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
I think it's a good idea to have a look at the churchyards whilst you are here in the UK and keep a good record of any Thompson headstones that you find.

I have another spanner to drop in the works!  There is a burial for a Robert Thompson on 19 January 1842 at Carlton in Cleveland aged 35.  The image from the PR states "of Preston in the County of Durham."

Looking at the 1841 census there is a Robert Thompson age 30 M.S. (male servant) with presumably wife Mary 30, children John 8, Ann 7, Jane 6, Robert 4, Mary 2 (all have N. for where born) & William 3 m, has Y for where born.  They are living at Preston Lodge, Preston in the Parish of Stockton on Tees, Durham. 

GRO listing for birth of Mary could be M1839 Stockton & Sedgefield and for William J1841 Stockton & Sedgefield.  Both have mother's maiden name of Wilkinson.

Marriage: At Whorlton on 13 Oct 1832 by Licence: Robert Thompson of Ingleby Greenhow & Mary Wilkinson of this parish.  The Licence details give both ages as 21, but that could mean just that they were both of full age.  Remember that "of" in a marriage entry just means that the person was living in that place at that time.

There's also another baptism in the vicinity - Robert Thompson 31 Aug 1806 at Faceby, son of John Thompson Junior farmer.  (Robert & Mary's first child listed in 1841 above is John)

Faceby, Carlton & Whorlton are all very close.  Ingleby Greenhow is about 6 or 7 miles away with Stokesley about midway.

In your first post you stated that Thomas was your 3 x gt grandfather ........ then his son Robert who married your 3 x gt grandmother Margery Jefferson.  Which is correct?  Is Robert your 3 x gt or 2 x gt?  Perhaps go back to grandparents and great grandparents and take it from there.  I had a Thompson brickwall in my tree for about 10 years but eventually got through to the other side! :)  Perhaps you need to have another look at "your" Robert when you return home to your notes and go back to what you definitely know, backed up with certificates or parish register entries and then see where there are several Robert Thompsons who could fit the bill.....   :-\

Thanks Tillypeg,  apologies yes Robert is my 2 x GG and Thomas my 3 x GG, (stubby fingers and no proof reading). I have all info back home however used FindMyPast and Family Search to reconstruct it. Henry Edward Thompson is my GG (confirmed), he was born  13 August 1847 South Shields (christened 24 Oct 1847 St Hilda's church) to parents Robert & Margery Thompson. 1851 census has R & M Thompson living in Westoe, South Shields with their 10 children (the eldest Harriet is not there). Henry Edward is there but only indicated by his initials H E. Roberts birthplace is stated as Yorkshire however as previously mentioned future census have him as born Stokesley.

The marriage of Robert to Margery Jefferson took place on 12 Dec 1824 at St Paul's church in Jarrow (next to South Shields), however the bishops transcript has her as Mary not Margery, I presume a mistake when copying the original which was probably Marg. It's funny but FindMyPast has it as Dorothy Jefferson (how they got that I have no idea!!). A witness is Thomas Thompson.

So as you can see this brings me back to Robert Thompson, son of Thomas Thompson christened in Stokesley in 1810 but born in 1804 according to all the census and his death certificate, which is now where I get stuck. I has seen the other RT's that you have mentioned but have dismissed them as having nothing to do with South Shields.

Yes I will be taking photo's of all Thompson graves while I am down there. I have photo's of some Thompson families taken last time on my wanderings through the main S S  cemetary, however have a larger list this time (branching out) to go and try to find there.

One of my biggest thrills last time was knowing that my GG the above mentioned Henry Edward and his wife Jane were buried in Gateshead's largest cemetary, but not knowing where (£30 per search to locate where) I decided to walk around, I think stumble is a better word, falling over hidden fallen gravestones, fighting with ivy growing on the gravestones and rolling an ancle on submerged pieces of grave. After about 4 hours almost having given up hope I stumbled upon it, it was one of the best feelings of my life. The grave hadn't been visited for many a year but was still in excellent condition and contained not only Henry and his wife but also the eldest daughter. I cleaned up the grave, pinched!!! a vase from a long forgotton grave that had 3 of them, went and bought some flowers and talked to them about their future generations. It seems silly talking to them but it felt right after finding them.

So that's where I'm up to, I still think I have the right Robert but as to his parents, I would say Thomas was his father but what else?

Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
I can't think of your next step really, it's been interesting for me looking at Thompsons again, albeit not mine!  (though I spent the first 21 years of my life living in Stokesley so a connection of sorts ;))

You made a very good discovery in the cemetery, it sometimes happens like that.  I nearly gave up looking for a kerbstone once and had been round the churchyard twice, only to find it as I was bending down to re-fasten shoelaces and almost out of the gate.

Good luck  :)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1851 census which shows Robert & Margery & family living in Westoe.  You mentioned that Robert's birthplace was given as Yorkshire but looking at the image (which wouldn't download on FindMyPast last night so I went to my local library this morning to look on Ancestry) it states Easby {illegible}, Yorkshire.  I can't post a snip of the bit in question as this thread is on the Lookup Requests Board and attachments are not allowed here.  Ancestry have transcribed it as Easby Lorce but I wonder if it could be Easby Firs (though the handwriting looks like force) which is a farm south of Gt Ayton, about 3 miles east of Stokesley   This would tie in with 1861 born Stokesley.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 June 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1851 census which shows Robert & Margery & family living in Westoe.  You mentioned that Robert's birthplace was given as Yorkshire but looking at the image (which wouldn't download on FindMyPast last night so I went to my local library this morning to look on Ancestry) it states Easby {illegible}, Yorkshire.  I can't post a snip of the bit in question as this thread is on the Lookup Requests Board and attachments are not allowed here.  Ancestry have transcribed it as Easby Lorce but I wonder if it could be Easby Firs (though the handwriting looks like force) which is a farm south of Gt Ayton, about 3 miles east of Stokesley   This would tie in with 1861 born Stokesley.

Thanks Tillypeg, I too looked at the 1851 census, or tried to as it wouldn't download, nor will it just now as I have just tried again. I remember about 4 years ago having a problem with being unable to download an image, probably this one. I reported it and they said that they would look into it and correct it!!!!!!!! Sure.
I then looked again at the transcription which i already have but looked further down and found 'Birth town as described' - EASBYFORCE. I googled it, nothing. I looked on the ordnance map, nothing
Have just looked again at the ordnance map and found it, I was looking around the C in C and  Osmotherley area but Easby is a small hamlet? South east of Great Aytton and Easby Firs is just to the west of it, towards Stokesley. Great spot, thanks.
Now I am going to have to go back to a question I asked on Rootschat a couple of years ago regarding Robert, once i find it I will let you know as it concerned a marriage of Thomas to someone from  Great Ayton, if memory serves me right........which it doesn't on many occasions. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 June 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Carrying on, just found the post 'How long from birth to being baptised'. It was regarding Robert being baptised in 1810 but all the census saying he was born in 1804. Anyway it broadened out to marriages for Thomas Thompson, the first one said, try this: A Thomas Thompson of Ayton married a Suzanna Eldron? Of Stokesley 22 Feb 1791, one witness was a Robert Thompson. Then another suggested the Thomas Thompson of C in C which is the one that I persued. It could well be the former. Having just looked at it all now it is a Suzanna Eldien of Stokesley that married a Thomas  Thompson of Ayton on that date. Time to start looking further into this one.

Thanks Tillypeg, I too looked at the 1851 census, or tried to as it wouldn't download, nor will it just now as I have just tried again. I remember about 4 years ago having a problem with being unable to download an image, probably this one. I reported it and they said that they would look into it and correct it!!!!!!!! Sure.
I then looked again at the transcription which i already have but looked further down and found 'Birth town as described' - EASBYFORCE. I googled it, nothing. I looked on the ordnance map, nothing
Have just looked again at the ordnance map and found it, I was looking around the C in C and  Osmotherley area but Easby is a small hamlet? South east of Great Aytton and Easby Firs is just to the west of it, towards Stokesley. Great spot, thanks.
Now I am going to have to go back to a question I asked on Rootschat a couple of years ago regarding Robert, once i find it I will let you know as it concerned a marriage of Thomas to someone from  Great Ayton, if memory serves me right........which it doesn't on many occasions. Paul

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 June 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen this website:

http://greatayton.wikidot.com/parish-registers

It's only transcripts though.

From this website, looking at the marriage on 22 Feb 1791 for Robert Thompson & Susanna Eldien, as you rightly said, it states bachelor of this Parish & spinster of Stokesley.  Witnesses are James Norman, Robart Thompson & Jane Gofton {?}

Susanna Eldien also pops up as a witness to the marriage of John Eldin (sic) and Elizabeth Terry on 17 May 1787, she makes her mark X.  By Licence.  Other witnesses are Robert Thompson and John Heatheril.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 June 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Did you notice that Ancestry had transcribed Margery Thompson in 1851 as Morgany?  ::)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 June 18 23:49 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen this website:

http://greatayton.wikidot.com/parish-registers

It's only transcripts though.

From this website, looking at the marriage on 22 Feb 1791 for Robert Thompson & Susanna Eldien, as you rightly said, it states bachelor of this Parish & spinster of Stokesley.  Witnesses are James Norman, Robart Thompson & Jane Gofton {?}

Susanna Eldien also pops up as a witness to the marriage of John Eldin (sic) and Elizabeth Terry on 17 May 1787, she makes her mark X.  By Licence.  Other witnesses are Robert Thompson and John Heatheril.

Thanks for the website, very interesting, have spent time extracting the Thompsons, mainly Roberts as fathers for births in 17xx's. Interesting marriages, Thomas marries Susanna Eldien in 1791, Robert a widower & farmer marries a Jane Eldin in 1783 the witnesses are a John Eldin & John Eldien and Robert Jnr. marries an Elizabeth Eldin and as you have mentioned Susanna was a witness to John Eldins marriage with Robert Thompson also a witness.
It looks like I will now have to call into Great Ayton.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
It looks like I will now have to call into Great Ayton.

In that case, don't miss Suggitt's ice cream & Petch's pork pies - you will have to queue for both, they are very popular.  Can recommend Stamps coffee shop (in the former Post Office) for another pitstop.....  There's the 12th century All Saints church tucked away off Low Green.  Captain James Cook's mother & 5 siblings are buried in the churchyard.  The "new" Christ Church was built in 1876 to cater for the growing congregation.