Author Topic: Algernon Harry Tobutt (sometimes Henery) b 1877 Ruislip, Middlesex  (Read 527 times)

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Algernon Harry Tobutt (sometimes Henery) b 1877 Ruislip, Middlesex
« on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am currently researching information on my 2x great grandfather Algernon Harry Tobutt.
During World War One, algernon seemed to bounce between several regiments and be deemed unfit on the grounds of neurasthenia. His first military record states he had previous military service in the 9th Middlesex rifle volunteers, but I have been able to find any information about this online, or any record of the regiment and their actions prior or leading up to ww1. It is also family lore that algernon was gassed during the Great War and henceforth suffered breathing difficulties as a result of this, though at no point in his military records does it indicate he served anywhere but on the home front? I ordered a death cert for algernon and it appears he died of a stroke in the 50’s. If anyone could help clear this up, and perhaps find out more information so I can set everything straight, it’s be hugely helpful!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Algernon Harry Tobutt (sometimes Henery) b 1877 Ruislip, Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
He served in 9th Bedfords for 199 days Sep 14 Jan 15 before being invalided out with neurasthenia.  All service in UK.
In November 1915, probably under the Derby Scheme which allowed him to sign on, go on the reserve and await call up, he enlisted in 4th Northants (a Reserve Battalion) later transferred to the Royal Defence Corps serving in a number of companies - all in UK.  Discharged in March 1919.

The 9th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers were a part time unit, pre 1908 predecessors of the Territorial Force.
http://www.steppingforwardlondon.org/antecedent-units-of-the-rifle-volunteer-corps.html  Records difficult (if not impossible??) to find.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia