Author Topic: James Moore of Benfleet. Abt 1818-1896.  (Read 2053 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Moore of Benfleet. Abt 1818-1896.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch is free but requires registration. I would recommend it as they hold a large number of records, some are only transcriptions but they also hold a large number of images of records.

Other resources you may want to use, if you're not already, include:

GRO birth and death indexes
Free but requires registration. A couple of years ago the GRO compiled new indexes for births (1837-1917) and deaths (1837-1957). Although indexes are available elsewhere the GRO's indexes were compiled from the original registers and the indexes include additional data not available elsewhere. Both indexes include full forenames, the birth index includes mother's maiden name (from 1837) and the death indexes includes the age (from 1837).

FreeReg
Free. FreeReg is a project to transcribe parish registers and make the transcriptions freely available. The number of Essex transcriptions that have is increasing all the time.

Essex Archives (SEAX)
Free to search but requires pass/subscription to view images. Parish registers are not indexed. Essex Archives hold a large number of parish registers, which they've digitised and made available online to subscribers. The offer daily, weekly, monthly and yearly passes/subscriptions. If you do some prep. work, so you know which parishes and time periods you're interested in, even a daily pass could be very rewarding.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for taking the time to advise. I have mainly researched my Suffolk roots and have left the Essex part of the tree to a cousin. Thought I would take up the reins now and see how far I could get. Will give FamilySearch a go. Cheers
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
It looks like Jan and nannyj were on the right line...

Marriage
married: 02 Mar 1843; St Nicholas, Harwich; banns
groom: James Moore; fa; bach; mariner; Harwich
bride: Charlotte Bartlett (x); fa; spin; -; Harwich
grooms father: Abraham Moore, labourer
brides father: William Bartlett, fishmonger?
witnesses: James Bartlett, Hannah Sallows? Bartlett (x)
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
A bit more evidence, if it was needed...

The Ipswich Journal
11 Mar 1893
Felixstowe
Golden Wedding
On Thursday was celebrated the golden wedding of two old and much respected inhabitants of Felixstowe. On the 2nd March, 1843, Mr James Moore and Miss Charlotte Bartlett were united at St Nicholas Church, Harwich. They afterwards lived at Walton Ferry, and have for many years resided in Hamilton Terrace, Felixstowe, where they have gained the respect of every inhabitant. They were visited by their resident sons and daughters, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren during the day, and congratulated upon the happy event. Very singularly, one of their daughters, Mrs Waller, celebrated her silver wedding in America on Monday last, the 27th ult.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for that extra info. I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I am busy putting part of my tree on Family Search and correcting loads of errors made by other researchers!!
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
No problem hookleg, glad to help.

By the way, I think James and Charlotte may have had 7 children. Six appear on censuses with them and 2 appear to have died as children. The Essex registers may be able to confirm that one way or another. You may already be aware of this but thought I'd post it just in case.

GRO BMD references:

1843 Q4 - Birth: Charlotte Moore (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 12; 251
1846 Q2 - Birth: James William Moor (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 12; 269
1848 Q3 - Birth: David Moore (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 12; 256
1851 Q1 - Birth: George Moor (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 12; 292
1853 Q1 - Birth: Eliza Moore (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 04a; 193
1854 Q4 - Birth: William Moore (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 04a; 172
1857 Q2 - Birth: Emma Moore (mmn: Bartlett); Tendring; 04a; 217

1854 Q1 - Death: Eliza Moore; age 1 (born c1853); Tendring; 04a; 147
1854 Q1 - Death: James William Moore; age 8 (born c1846); Tendring; 04a; 149

Also, as Abraham Moore gives his birth place as Takeley in censuses you're in luck, as Takeley parish registers are available on FreeReg, from the Holy Trinity Church website itself (as the local Reverend transcribed the records some years ago) and on SEAX too.

Holy Trinity Church, Takeley & All Saints Church, Little Canfield
http://www.tlcchurch.co.uk/life_records.php

Link: Takeley & Lt Canfield on-line Parish Register transcripts (Essex Resources & Offers) Page 1 RootsChat.Com
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1703.0

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Cuffie81 you really are a star. Your help has gained me a 4x Gt Grandmother and a 5x Great grandmother and 5x Gt Grandfather. Sooooo grateful for your help.