Author Topic: What has Thomas Flattery been transcribed as in 1911?  (Read 627 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
What has Thomas Flattery been transcribed as in 1911?
« on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thomas Flattery was born in 1845 in Van Diemen's Land while his father was stationed there.

He appears in the 1851 census at Hoylake, and the 1861 census in Burnley, but then disappears, possibly into the army.

BUT he becomes a regular at Burnley Workhouse, appearing in the admissions (Lan-OPC) from 1906 to 1916, and dies there in 1920. His year of birth in the entries is given as 1845 or 1846, which fits extremely well.

SO he ought to be visible in the Burnley area at the 1911 census, but I've not found him in the indexes of Ancestry or FindMyPast.

The most likely place to find him would be 118 Briercliffe Road, but I've paged through the workhouse entries and he doesn't appear there.

He's not around either in 1901, but could be still in the army (or wherever he was hiding).

Can anyone tell me where to look for Thomas in 1911?

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What has Thomas Flattery been transcribed as in 1911?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
There is always the possibility that he was living rough and was missed from the Census.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
The census was intended to record everyone in the country on census night, wherever they were. The enumerator was instructed to note people sleeping in barns, sheds, tents or the open air. Also the police helped enumerate those vagrants sleeping under bridges and in sheds etc.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas appears to be well known to the Overseers, who would be the sort of people likely to be recruited as enumerators.

He is down as being admitted 14 times between 1906 and 1916. On three of those occasions, a date of birth is given - 11 Aug 1845. The birth registration from Tasmania states 14 Aug 1846, which is a good match.

When combined with the unusual surname spelling and the fact that his parents and three of his brothers ended up in the area, I'm convinced this is the same chap.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.