Author Topic: MCANULTY/MCNULTY/HUNTER family...Help me break down the brick wall!  (Read 889 times)

Offline sec968

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MCANULTY/MCNULTY/HUNTER family...Help me break down the brick wall!
« on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sherri here, descendant of:

Patrick MCNULTY/MCANULTY, born c. 1816 in Ireland
and his wife Ellen HUNTER, born c. 1820 in Ireland

There is speculation among others that they could have been from County Mayo, although I find no records. They immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1850 and settled in Pittsburgh. 

In the last 25 years I never been able to make the jump to Ireland for any of my Irish family.  I simply have the ship's lists and no indication of where they were from. 

I'd appreciate any thoughts on next steps.

Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MCANULTY/MCNULTY/HUNTER family...Help me break down the brick wall!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Where does the 'speculation among others that they could have been from County Mayo' come from? family members, Ancestry hints, online trees?

Have you tried following all of their children in U.S. records (espacially any born in Ireland) for further clues?

Many Catholic parish records are now online although coverage (and readability) vary greatly and it's quite possible such early records won't exist or are not online.
https://registers.nli.ie/

Have a look at this topic on tracing Irish ancestors-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
His death registration in 1885 indicates he is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery in Pittsburgh.  Suggests that they were Catholic.  What church did they attend in Pittsburgh?  Have you checked for baptisms, etc. in that church.  1850 Census has he and Ellen with a bunch of children all born in Ireland; youngest is 6 months.

Ellen died in 1902; death registration names her parents as Robert and Ellen Hunter.  These are such Scottish names, so likely not in Ireland for too many generations.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Ellen died in 1902; death registration names her parents as Robert and Ellen Hunter.  These are such Scottish names, so likely not in Ireland for too many generations.

Our Hunters were originally from Scotland but have been in Ireland since 1600s  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Do you have a death registration for Patrick, as it should give his parents name
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)