Author Topic: Annie Clayton  (Read 2177 times)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Clayton
« on: Thursday 31 May 18 04:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find an Annie Clayton (also went by Elizabeth Ann Parker and Elizabeth Ann Clayton-Parker) who emigrated to the US (probably Boston) in 1891.  She was married to George Parker but travelled alone.  She went to New York and had a daughter Ada M Parker born Kings New York 21 December 1891.  Her husband emigrated some time later, in 1893.  They had a son, George Parker, born late 1894.

I would like to find Annie's arrival in the US, and if possible, departure from the UK, and if she was travelling with any other family member.  Also, what happened to her children as on the 1900 US Census, she was divorced, had had 5 children (2 died in the UK and 1 in the US - Constance Parker) was boarding with the Harell family and didn't appear to have her children with her.  I know that Ada went on to marry and had an adopted surname of Hill (Ada Hill Parker, or Parker Hill).

Any help much appreciated.  :D

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Clayton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 18 05:10 BST (UK) »
Marriage:
Mar qtr 1889 Pancras vol 1b p182 - 4 names on page including George PARKER and Elizabeth Ann CLAYTON
Births:
PARKER George Thomas, Sep qtr 1889 Marylebone vol 1a p564 mmn CLAYTON
PARKER Ada Ellen Sep qtr 1890 Marylebone vol 1a p550 mmn CLAYTON
Deaths:
PARKER George Thomas, age 0, Dec qtr 1889 Marylebone vol 1a p370
PARKER Ada Ellen, age 0, Jun qtr 1891 Pancras vol1b p2

I cannot absolutely guarantee that these entries are connected - but they do look like a good match.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your response.  These births and deaths are in my family tree and were the children of Elizabeth Ann (Annie) Clayton Parker and George Parker.  After her daughter Ada Ellen died, Elizabeth Ann emigrated to the US, in 1891.  I am trying to find her emigration record either through UK departure records, or US (probably Boston) arrival records.  She gave birth to a third child, Ada Mary Clayton Parker on 21 December 1891 in Kings, NY.  Her husband, George, followed her to the US in 1893 and they had 2 more children, George Parker born 1894 and Constance born 1896.  Constance died at 20 months. 

I am trying to find Elizabeth Ann's emigration record and the whereabouts of her 2 living children, George and Ada Mary in the 1900 and later US census records.

Thank you again for your help, every piece of information helps me to put the whole picture of their lives together.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
Where were the family on the 1891 census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
Where were the family on the 1891 census

1891 census - RG12 91/111 p35  Charlotte Street, Marylebone
(CLAYTON household)
PARKER, Elizabeth A, 17, daughter
PARKER George, 22, son in law Daughter and son-in-law in CLAYTON household.

This narrows the emigration date very neatly (and ties in with the pregnancy leading to the Dec 1891 birth.

Philip.

ADDED - FamilySearch have images of passenger lists to Boston 1 Aug to 31 Dec 1891 - 1286 images, not indexed!  This could be a slow search!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 June 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Philip  ;D

I was looking for Ada born 1890 with a death registered June qtr 1891.   She must have only recently died, census was 5th April

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 June 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
ADDED - FamilySearch have images of passenger lists to Boston 1 Aug to 31 Dec 1891 - 1286 images, not indexed!  This could be a slow search!

A search on FindMyPest for Elizabeth (and variants) PARKER born c1874 arriving 1891 returned half a dozen possibles, and the same search for Annie returned another four.

I can't check the transcripts (I don't have a sub) but this could give a ship name, port and date and might identify travelling companions.

Alternatively - if we find the ship, port and date it could enable a search on the FamilySearch images.

Philip

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 June 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
There is a very good chance that when Elizabeth Ann left England her record is as Mrs Parker without any initials so probably very difficult to trace on the departures.

Which port did her husband sail from in England and what date

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 June 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Philip and Rosie. I have been doing some more research today on Elizabeth Ann's daughter, Ada Marion Parker Hill (adopted by the Hill family?).  She married Paul Dean Barr in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  Her death record shows that she was born England on 18 March 1891 and died 12 July 1920, Tulsa, but her birth is also registered in Kings, New York as 21 December 1891. 

I don't know how to check which one is correct.  Her sister, Ada Ellen Parker was born 6 August 1890 in London, so Ada Marion would have been born exactly 9 months later which seems quite soon after Ada Ellen's birth.  Ada Ellen Parker died June quarter 1891 but she is not on the 1891 census with her parents.  Elizabeth Ann is only 17 at the time of the 1891 census but had already had 2 children (George Thomas and Ada Ellen), both of whom died in infancy.  She married George Parker in January 1889 when she was only 15 (born 18 July 1873).

If Ada Marion Parker was born in England in March 1891, she would have accompanied her mother to the US in late 1891 or even 1892 (which is when Annie Clayton says she emigrated on the 1900 US census).  If Ada Marion was born in Kings in December 1891, then Elizabeth Ann travelled to the US on her own.

George Parker, Elizabeth Ann's husband, emigrated in October 1893 on the Teutonic (departed Liverpool?)

In late 1890s, George divorced Elizabeth Ann (Annie), remarried, and had about 6 or 7 children with his second wife, Florence Schmitz.

There is no record that I can find of Annie Clayton (she reverted to her maiden name on the 1900 US census) after this census or of her son, George Parker born Kings, NY 26 October1894.  I can only presume that he was fostered or adopted or was in care.