Author Topic: Annie Clayton  (Read 2170 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Clayton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 June 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
You can use the GRO index at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
to check birth registrations which show mothers maiden surnames

Ada Ellen obviously died around the end of March /beginning of April 1891 for her birth to appear on the June qtr indexes and her not to be on the 1891 census.

If Ada Marion was born 18th March 1891 in England she should appear with her parents on the 1891 census taken 5th April 1891 (she does not).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 June 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some more research today on Elizabeth Ann's daughter, Ada Marion Parker Hill ........  Her death record shows that she was born England on 18 March 1891 and died 12 July 1920, Tulsa, but her birth is also registered in Kings, New York as 21 December 1891. 

If Ada Marion was born 18th March 1891 in England she should appear with her parents on the 1891 census taken 5th April 1891 (she does not).

When I was looking at the GRO index I couldn't see Ada Marion's birth - and as rosie99 says, she would be on the 1891 census (which she isn't).  So I would go with the idea of conception being around March, possibly in a "romantic farewell" as Elizabeth Ann was beginning her journey.   Sometime in the intervening years the conception has been confused with the birth.  Baptisms could be months or years (or never!) after a birth, but there would be no reason to register a birth in December if it didn't happen

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 June 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
Burial of Ada Ellen Parker, 7 April 1891, authority Camden (deceased online free index). The census was taken 5 April.
That birth of Ada Marion in New York
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W79-PYY

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 June 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
John,  I always forget to look on D O  ::)

She just missed the census then  :'(   She is apparently buried with 17 others
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 June 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your  help. I now know that Ada Marion was definitely born in Kings in December 1891.  It is a puzzle that Annie (Clayton) Parker and her children are not on any NY census (1892) and later, nor can I find the 2 surviving children on the 1900 US census.  Annie also disappears, and is not on any subsequent US census that I can find (1910, 1920, 1930, 1940).

Ada Marion Parker Hill is the only member of Annie's family that can be traced down through children and grandchildren.

A further mystery is an old photograph of my great-grandfather (Annie's brother) in South Australia with other family members taken around 1910-1911.  A woman who looks about Annie's age and has a resemblance to the Claytons is standing at the back of the photograph with a boy who looks about 15 or 16.  Could this be the elusive Annie and her son George?  All the other Clayton sisters remained in the UK.