Author Topic: Registering a birth in 1899  (Read 7365 times)

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registering a birth in 1899
« on: Thursday 31 May 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching my family history for about a month now. My grandfather (Robert G Williams) is the biological son of "Sybil Ambrose", born in Bournemouth, 1928.

My Grandad was adopted at 10 months old I believe and we only found this out after his death in 2016, so had only known his adopted name, and always hit brick walls upon trying to expand the family tree.

About a month ago, my sister did a DNA test with ancestry. It came back and suggested that one of our matches was a second cousin. Most of our 'recent' family history is known to us, except on my grandfather's side, so we began the search. We have found that there was another child "Ninette Williams" Born to mother Ambrose in 1922 (Southampton) and this seems to be where the DNA connection comes in. (Also, upon doing a blind search for Williams children with mother Ambrose I have found two other children, Roderick A Williams born in 1917 Southampton, and Leo J Williams Born in 1921 Christchurch). These second two children could be completely irrelevant, but they were born in close proximity so they could be connected.

As I said, We are quite confident that Ninette is my Grandfather's sister due to the DNA connection. The problem comes in when looking for the father. I have tried looking for marriage records between Sybil Ambrose and a Williams and had no luck. It does get a little more complicated, we have attempted to find Sybil Ambrose's birth and found a 1901 Sussex and 1911 Hampshire census. In the 1901 Census, Sybil is living with a Lipscombe Family, noted as "Sybil Huntly the niece of a Joseph Lipscombe", then in 1911 living with the Now Widowed Margaret Lipscombe, she is noted as "Sybil Ambrose Grandchild of Margaret Lipscombe" Alongside her Brother "Cyril Ambrose". Ambrose, it seems, is the name she took forward from this point, until she took the name Williams (which, I think, was the name she died with, in Bournemouth 1933).

The whole name situation is getting a bit confusing, We found that Sybil's Father was called "George Ansell" and we believe the mother to be "Ethel Lipscombe" who was also in the household in 1901. We are quite confident that this is correct as we have a DNA connection with the Ansell family, and we have been told that George Ansell was an alcoholic who left his family, I am assuming that the name lack of "Ansell" in the name is due to the fact that He was already married, It would also explain the change from niece to granddaughter on the census.

Now, going back to the point. I still cannot find a marriage between a Williams and a Ambrose, An Ansell, Lipscombe or a Huntly, all being names that Sybil has taken over the years. One obvious explanation is that they were not married, but I still cannot find any connection at all between a Sybil and Williams. Perhaps Williams was not even the name of the father, but at this point, I am completely lost.

I have attempted to find connections between all of the children and their father but have found no leads. I know it is rather complicated, but I would appreciate greatly If anyone could think of other places to look.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Registering a birth in 1899
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello George and welcome to Rootschat.

I have had a very quick look at this and did you realise that Robert was also registered as Robert G BROOMFIELD with a mmn of Ambrose?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to FindMyPast or Ancestry to search the 1939 register?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:53 BST (UK) »

Presumably if Robert and the others were adopted then you're not going to find them on the 1939 register,unless you know their new surnames?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Robert and any siblings would be too young to be shown on the 1939 register but you might find Sybil.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:10 BST (UK) »

Presumably if Robert and the adopted were adopted then you're not going to find them on the 1939 register,unless you know their new surnames?

I do have access to ancestry records, I know Roberts new surname, as it is the same as mine, I have seen that in 1939 he was in Poole, Dorset, with his adopted mother Ivy after his adopted father James had passed away. I know that Ninette moved to America and I have details of her family. I cannot however find any records of Leo and Roderick. Ninette kept the name Williams, so I am assuming she was not adopted.

Also it seems that Sybil died in 1933, very close to where Robert lived. I'm assuming she would've known that she lived near to him.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
So you don't think this is your Sybil  on the 1939 register??

Sybil D   Williams   1900   Bournemouth C.B.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to find that record on ancestry, can you send a link please?

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
That was from a FindMyPast search.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE