Author Topic: Registering a birth in 1899  (Read 7367 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Registering a birth in 1899
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
That BC tells you quite a lot.

The fact that both parents signed as informants means that they went to register the birth together, but acknowledged that they were not married to each other.

The way the mother's name is shown would certainly mean that she said she was (or had been) married to a WILLIAMS.  But more rarely it could also indicate that she just said she had changed her name from Williams to Ambrose at some point in her life.

It would be quite normal for hotel staff to "live in" so you can be fairly confident George Broomfield was working as a cook at the London Hotel, and living there.

The Perey Clifford ( probably Percy ?) is just the name of the Superintendent  Registrar who added the word "adopted" to the entry when he was notified by the court - nothing to do with any person or company who dealt with the adoption.

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:18 BST (UK) »

The fact that both parents signed as informants means that they went to register the birth together, but acknowledged that they were not married to each other.

The way the mother's name is shown would certainly mean that she said she was (or had been) married to a WILLIAMS.  But more rarely it could also indicate that she just said she had changed her name from Williams to Ambrose at some point in her life.

It would be quite normal for hotel staff to "live in" so you can be fairly confident George Broomfield was working as a cook at the London Hotel, and living there.

The Perey Clifford ( probably Percy ?) is just the name of the Superintendent  Registrar who added the word "adopted" to the entry when he was notified by the court - nothing to do with any person or company who dealt with the adoption.

Thanks for your help, I will do some investigating in to the parents :)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
[post removed for xcheck]

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
[post removed for xcheck]
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 June 18 14:43 BST (UK) »

Following from this thread, I have begun to look into Sybil Ambrose, the mother of my Grandfather (Robert George Dixon). Today I received a copy of Ninette Williams' Birth Certificate(Born 1923), Who we have discovered is my Grandfathers Half Sister (We also discovered he has a Half brother- Leo J Williams- Born 1921).

The Birth Certificate has revealed that Ninette's Father was John Edward Williams (My Grandfather's Father was George Broomfield), The birth certificate also gave us the following:

"Name, Surname and maiden surname of mother: Sybil Barbara Williams, Late Conrad formerly Ambrose."

Ambrose is clearly the maiden surname that Sybil went by, At the time of Ninette's Birth (1923) she was married to the father, John Edward Williams. I have found a marriage between Sybil B Conrad and John Edward Williams in 1920 at Christchurch, which seems correct.

I am assuming the "Late Conrad" suggests she was married before Williams, and widowed, but I cannot seem to find any marriages between Sybil Ambrose and Conrad, It doesn't help that Sybils Surname seems to change regularly and I still cannot find her birth records. I am thinking she was born approximately 1899 and I have ordered what I believe to be her Death Certificate (Bournemouth 1933) So hopefully, that will provide some information.

In the mean time, I thought I should post here to see if anyone has any suggestions of where I can look/ if perhaps the "Late Conrad" could have some other meaning.

Thanks.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 June 18 01:53 BST (UK) »
Late Conrad just means a widow of Conrad. I woud be trying to find Ethel Beatrice Lipscombe's death registration, when did she die?  What was her death surname?

Have you ruled this woman out in the 1939 register? Ethel Ambrose 1877   Hitchin R.D.   Hertfordshire   England.

Ethel Beatrice Lipscombe's birth was registered in 1877 is this her co-habiting with a male Ambrose?

Possible death for this lady
Ethel Ambrose
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Collections from
Great Britain, England
Country
England
County
Hertfordshire
Year
Birth Year
Event Quarter
District
Hitchin.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 June 18 05:03 BST (UK) »
Or did Ethel lose a few years in age and die as Ethel B Ambrose aged “62”, Sep qtr 1949 Poole?

Cyril may also have lived in Poole, marrying there (to Nellie Morgan) in Sep qtr 1935, and dying as Cyril G Ambrose aged 44, Mar qtr 1950 Poole. 
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 June 18 05:32 BST (UK) »
Just trying to get a sense of the chronology:

1877: Ethel Beatrice Lipscombe born in Brighton to Joseph Horton Lipscombe & Margaret (nee McKenzie).
1899: Ethel (probably) gives birth to Sybil out of wedlock - poss in Portsmouth, 9 Aug? Birth reg not found.
1901: Ethel B Lipscombe and Sybil Huntly, 1, (plus married George Ansell) in Worthing with Ethel’s parents.
1904: Ethel (probably) gives birth to Cyril out of wedlock - poss in Lymington, 16/17 Oct? Birth reg not found.
1905: Sybil Margaret and Cyril George Lipscombe baptised in Fulham - parents George & Ethel.
1911: Sybil and Cyril Ambrose are with grandmother Margaret Lipscombe in Lymington.  Ethel not found.
1920: Sybil B Conrad marries John E Williams, Christchurch.
1921: Birth reg of Leo J Williams, mmn Ambrose, Christchurch.
1923: Birth reg of Ninette J M Williams, mmn Ambrose, Southampton - father John Edward Williams
1928: Birth of Robert George Williams to Sybil Barbara Williams nee Ambrose & George Alfred Broomfield
1933: Possible death as Sybil B Gwyth Williams aged 32, Dec qtr 1933 Bournemouth.
1949: Possible death - Ethel B Ambrose aged 62, Sep qtr 1949 Poole.
1950: Possible death - Cyril G Ambrose aged 44, Mar qtr 1950 Poole.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 June 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795413.0

What is your connection?

Causing duplication of research.