Author Topic: Registering a birth in 1899  (Read 7368 times)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Registering a birth in 1899
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Robert was also registered indexed as Robert G BROOMFIELD with a mmn of Ambrose?

Which would indicate a birth registered by joint (unmarried) informants, however the inclusion of  the maiden name AMBROSE indicates a married mother (but not to the named father).

How the parents names (and those recorded as informants) are shown on the birth certificate is crucial - do you have a copy of it ?

I still cannot find a marriage between a Williams and a Ambrose,

Which you won't if the scenario above is correct.

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Robert was also registered indexed as Robert G BROOMFIELD with a mmn of Ambrose?

Which would indicate a birth registered by joint (unmarried) informants, however the inclusion of  the maiden name AMBROSE indicates a married mother (but not to the named father).

How the parents names (and those recorded as informants) are shown on the birth certificate is crucial - do you have a copy of it ?

I still cannot find a marriage between a Williams and a Ambrose,

Which you won't if the scenario above is correct.

My Aunt and Uncle had a copy of his birth certificate I believe, I'm not sure if it was the full birth certificate, but I saw it a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly it just said mother: "Sybil Williams (formerly ambrose)".

So you don't think this is your Sybil  on the 1939 register??

Sybil D   Williams   1900   Bournemouth C.B.

I am maybe thinking this Sybil D Williams is actually the correct person, as I have found a marriage between a Henry Williams and Sybil Ambrose in 1923 (Henry Williams being the partner on the 1939 register)

***What I just said was incorrect, I just searched for the marriage between Ambrose and williams in 1923 and it was for a Sarah Ambrose, not Sybil.***

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
I am maybe thinking this Sybil D Williams is actually the correct person, as I have found a marriage between a Henry Williams and Sybil Ambrose in 1923 (Henry Williams being the partner on the 1939 census)

FreeBMD has a marriage for Sybil D CHILDS to Henry WILLIAMS March quarter 1930 in Poole.

I also think the Henry in the 1939 register is too young to be the father,
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
My Aunt and Uncle had a copy of his birth certificate I believe, I'm not sure if it was the full birth certificate, but I saw it a few weeks ago and if I remember correctly it just said mother: "Sybil Williams (formerly ambrose)".

You need to have another look, or order a copy yourself - the index has the name BROOMFIELD  as being on the entry somewhere.

If the couple are married ( and the informant column is what tells you that), then another option, if the mother is just shown as "WILLIAMS formerly AMBROSE"  is that the father has two surnames shown so he could be "WILLIAMS otherwise BROOMFIELD" , but the only way of knowing is to look carefully at the certificate.

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 18 12:08 BST (UK) »

You need to have another look, or order a copy yourself - the index has the name BROOMFIELD  as being on the entry somewhere.

If the couple are married ( and the informant column is what tells you that), then another option, if the mother is just shown as "WILLIAMS formerly AMBROSE"  is that the father has two surnames shown so he could be "WILLIAMS otherwise BROOMFIELD" , but the only way of knowing is to look carefully at the certificate.

Sorry, yes I believe I actually got those details from the adoption records. The birth certificate we have Is not the complete one, It literally says the date of birth on it and the name and that is all. I am going to order a copy of the birth certificate now.

I am quite new to this, how did you see that another name had been indexed in, all i can see is Ambrose (Vol-2b, Page-1045), Thanks for your help.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
It looks as though Sybil and Cyril were baptised at St Andrew, Fulham on 22 July 1905;

Sybil Margaret b 9August 1899
Cyril George b 16 October 1904

Parents shown as George and Ethel Beatrice Lipscombe of 27 Turneville Road. George (like George Ansell in 1901) is a plumber
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 May 18 12:59 BST (UK) »

I am quite new to this, how did you see that another name had been indexed in, all i can see is Ambrose (Vol-2b, Page-1045), Thanks for your help.
If you look for the birth on Free BMD then click on the number (1045) you will see all those indexed under that volume and page number. It shows Robert with two possible surnames.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 May 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all of you, your help is much appreciated. I'll be sure to let you know what Is on the birth certificate once I receive it :)

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 11:32 BST (UK) »

Sorry, yes I believe I actually got those details from the adoption records. The birth certificate we have Is not the complete one, It literally says the date of birth on it and the name and that is all. I am going to order a copy of the birth certificate now.

Just an update in case any of you are interested.

I have received the birth certificate of Robert George (My Grandfather). I will list the details on the birth certificate:

Name, if any: Robert George
Name and surname of father: George Alfred Broomfield,
Name, surname and maiden surname of mother: Sybil Barbera Williams, formerly Ambrose, of Hanover House St. Peters Road. Bournemouth.U.D.
Occupation of father: Cook of London Hotel. Bournemouth.U.D.
Signature, description and residence of informant: G. A. Broomfield, Father, London Hotel, Bournemouth. Sybil Williams, Mother, Hanover House, St.Peter's Road, Bournemouth.

It seems, as you suggested that the father was Broomfield and Sybil was married to Williams at the time. I am not sure if George Worked at that hotel, as it seems a bit strange for them to both be living in hotels, it could be that they owned/worked in them, but it seems more likely that it was just because it was a cover-up.

It also says:" "adopted" Perey Clifford superintendent registrar" on the right hand side of the cert, I think I read the "Perey Clifford" wrong, but it isn't very clear, I am assuming this is the person/company who dealt with the adoption. One thing I am unsure of is all the documents I have say he was adopted at 10 months old, But I am assuming that he was adopted and then re-adopted.