Author Topic: loss of images in familysearch?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: loss of images in familysearch?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 May 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Probably sold to Ancestry of FindMyPast, they both seem to have Norfolk parish records.  I was looking at them today.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 May 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
On checking again, it is only one Diss film that has no digital images on FamilySearch (mf 1596390)
We can substitute the DGL number for that missing Diss film into the URL thing
Which leads to
https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/004008142?cat=472308

I wonder if we did that in a FHC, would it would bring up any images? I wouldn't have thought so, but how did they call up newburychap's unindexed film on to the screen?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748263.msg6509404#msg6509404

The thing about that Diss film is that it is indexed - there is a magnifying glass icon, click on that and you get the index
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1596390

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 May 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
On checking again, it is only one Diss film that has no digital images on FamilySearch (mf 1596390)
We can substitute the DGL number for that missing Diss film into the URL thing
Which leads to
https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/004008142?cat=472308

Its unlikely to work at an FHC, I've had issues with the odd whole film having every image missing and some having the odd image missing and they had the camera icon against the film number.  Where there is no camera icon of any sort in the catalogue, they simply haven't been correctly uploaded as I understand it.  They did fix some a while back, although they appeared to be mainly films of probate records and not the parish registers that have issues.

Probably sold to Ancestry of FindMyPast, they both seem to have Norfolk parish records.  I was looking at them today.

Familysearch won't have sold them, they have agreements with both Ancestry and FindMyPast for use of some of their images/indexes and in return church members get access to them at home (Ancestry definitely) or at the FHCs (along with non-members who view at the FHCs).  It will mean though that the Archives have agreed for this to happen.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
I think people are missing what I'm saying. The Diss baptism images USED to be on the site (I used them quite a lot) and now they're not.

They were accessible via this entry point;

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https://familysearch.org/recapi/sord/collection/1416598/waypoints

I don't think anyone is missing the point.  A DGS number confirms they have been digitised but a number of parishes do not have the registers accessible whether at an FHC or via the web.

Yes they are accessible through that other link, but they are also accessible via the catalogue which in many ways is a better place to look because you see exactly what the access status for each film is which the collection pages don't show, only those available.

I take your point that they were available previously, its possible and upload to the site had caused this to disappear or its possible that NRO have revoked access but I suspect this is unlikely as other registers are available.  Its probably an error with the Familysearch website.  As I've already said, there are issues with this and it may just be unfortunate that the reverse has happened with the Diss register and the access link has disappeared.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail of the 31 May regarding the above subject.

The Norfolk Record Office has indeed signed licencing agreements with both Ancestry and Find My Past to make parish register images available, however I am not aware that this would necessitate the taking down of any material from familysearch.org. You may wish to contact them directly for a fuller answer.

Kind regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXX | Searchroom/Research Assistant
Norfolk Record Office, The Archive Centre, Martineau Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 2DQ
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk