Author Topic: Picasa alternatives?  (Read 665 times)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Picasa alternatives?
« on: Thursday 31 May 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Picasa had a number of useful one-click tools such as "sharpen" and "brighten" from memory, but I've just discovered that Picasa is no longer available so I'm unable to install it on my new(ish) Win10 pc.

I've had a play with GIMP but find it more than a little daunting.  I'm a long-time user of Irfanview but I can't see any obvious one click solutions in its menu.  Does anyone have any recommendations please?  All I want is something to quickly make some of my ebay pics, which were taken on a dull day, a little less drab (and for free).

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Picasa alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
My current favourite is FastStone Image Viewer (which in spite of its name is also an editor). It has some tools which IrfanView only supplies with plug-ins, while at the same time being (in my opinion) a bit more intuitive to use.

The only one-click option that I know of is to auto-adjust colours, which in some cases might be all you need. Most of the other tools involve a click and then one or more sliders with a real-time preview of what you're doing, but it's quite easy to get the hang of, and I'm often impressed at what it can do. (Before trying it I bought a copy of PhotoShop Elements as a step up from IrfanView, but I hardly ever touch that now as FastStone does more or less all I need, and is also much easier to use.)

It's free for home users - details at http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

There's also a downloadable tutorial at http://www.faststone.org/FSIVTutorial.htm
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Microsoft Office Picture Manager has some of the things you require , including a one-click "Picture Correct" .  I have the 2010 edition.

The "official" replacement for Picassa is Google Photos - which has a range of photo enhancement tools, and is cloud based.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you arthurk and greenrig.

I've had a play with FastStone and MOPM and the former seems to make the best job of sorting out a couple of snaps that were particularly dark.  Plus I don't have to register it before I can use it more than a limited number of times.  When I looked into Picasa I saw that the recommendation is Google Photos but the word "cloud" put me off.

So sorted for now, I can get my junk quality items listed with half-decent photos while ebay have a special deal on fees, but if anyone else has any recommendations they will be more than welcome.

Jane :-)

ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON