Author Topic: The Haszells...Again  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Haszells...Again
« on: Friday 01 June 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Everytime I sit down and try to do a bit more on my Dads family I always get a dead end with this branch, the Haszells from Ipswich. I have posted about them before. This time its about the son of Wiiliam Samuel Haszell b.1859 Ipswich, and Elizabeth b.1858 in Chelsea, MMN Mingay. Their son was born William James Haszell in London 1880. He appears on 1881 census as Hassell, family living with in-laws, then again on 1891 census as Haszell. Then that's the end of him, there seems so many variations of his surname but no William James Haszell past 1891. I've searched deaths, marriages etc with all the variations that have been used by the Haszells, from Hassell to Hasquel to Haygell to Hazel...all to no conclusion.
The parents William and Elizabeth don't appear to have had any further children and they appear together doing nicely in a Chelsea address as hairdressers in 1901. No son, just on their own. I realise that their are dead ends in this game, have I reached one with William? Any magical RootsChat insight gratefully received as ever.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Haszells...Again
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
How about this (although I realise birth year is one year out):

William James Hassell  Hair Dresser - born 17/8/1881 Westminster, London - enlisted in Royal Marines 11/9/1899 (at Deal).   However, was discharged Sept.1900 'Deserted' (although conduct was shown V.G.).  Father shown as Samuel Hassell, 51 The Grove, South Lambeth (was William Samuel usually known as Samuel on a day to day basis?)

Have no idea where he deserted.

No one with the name William James Hassell was born ca.1881 Westminster so from his occupation feel sure that it must be your man who joined the Royal Marines 1899 and deserted the following year.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Presumably he used the surname Hassell then as he grew up and left to join the Marines, 1891 census has him as William J Haszell. William Samuel seemed to have always used the Haszell surname though I don't know if he was known as Samuel, don't think it likely as the 1901 census has him as William Hassell with his wife Elizabeth. Lots of them ended up changing from Haszell to more usual hassell or hazel, soooo confusing. Original family of nine came from Ipswich.
I'm not too sure though as I have William James Haszell born last quarter 1880 St George, Hanover Square district London. His dad married in same district 1879.
Also 1901 census has William Hassell and Elizabeth together in Chelsea, ages are right and no son, but maybe this is not Williams parents...but it is a good fit.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
There is a record of a William James Hassell with the same date of birth (17 Aug 1881) in the Railway Employment records for the London and North Western Railway, 6 Sep 1900.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
The image referred to in my last post isn't the best quality but it looks like he was a labourer and then a storekeeper.  The word Hawkins(?) has been included, but it isn't clear why.   

There are later railway records for a William Hassall Storekeeper / Storesman at Crewe in 1915 & 1917, and possibly as a porter at Manchester in 1919.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 18 02:04 BST (UK) »

"..Wiiliam Samuel Haszell b.1859 Ipswich, and Elizabeth b.1858 in Chelsea, MMN Mingay. Their son was born "

How are they described in the 1911 census, which would ask for ....children living.....children dead.....

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
William Samuel b.1859 died in Edmonton 1911, M quarter, as William Samuel Haszell. He seemed to be one of the few Haszells who kept his strange surname. I can find no 1911 census for Elizabeth Haszell, she died as Elizabeth Haszell in 1914, Epsom. I have found her grave number and burial.

1901 Census William and Elizabeth Hassell, wrong spelling but dates are correct, are together living in Chelsea, he is a hairdresser.

Its just some certainty about their only son I need and I am sure you all know the drive this gives you to cross the i's and t's of a family tree. The Royal Marine rings true I think but father Samuel does not. The railway dates fit in but he certainly got about if it is him.

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
"William James Hassell  Hair Dresser - born 17/8/1881 Westminster, London"

Not certain that's him really. 1881 census has him as 0 years old, which makes sense if he was born last quarter of 1880, Census in April 81 so he would be 3 or 4 months old. The hairdresser remark is intriguing though but 1881 birth and Samuel Hassell as father don't fit for me.

Its the right William James Hassell for the Railway worker though, the dates fit his desertion as well. Its just not my William James Haszell b.1880, son of William Samuel Haszell b.1859, son of William Haszell b.1834, son of Joseph Haszell b.1807.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
"William James Hassell  Hair Dresser - born 17/8/1881 Westminster, London"

If your WJH appears on the 1881 census, that one can't be yours as the census was taken April 3rd 1881.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk