Author Topic: John HOLLAND  (Read 868 times)

Offline Hayley1975

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John HOLLAND
« on: Friday 01 June 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am on the trail of my 4 x great grandfather John HOLLAND.  He is born c.1791 in Scotland and describes himself as a Hawker.  Does this information fit in with a travelling lifestyle?

He appears on the 1841 census return with his wife? Sarah and their daughter, Priscilla in Woodstock, Oxfordshire.  By 1850 Priscilla is married and living in Hammersmith.  I can't find John Holland/Sarah anywhere!

I feel as though I am on the back foot with this search.  Any help or ideas where I can go next would be very much appreciated.  I have literally drawn a blank!

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: John HOLLAND
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hayley; The Dogs on the street know that Holland is a strong Gypsy name  ;)

I just checked The Book Of Bob (See the little house, under my avatar) as I didn't know about Scotland. Sure enough, nothing listed for it. But, there are Holland Gypsys listed for Oxford.

And, yes, Hawking is a very traditional Gypsy occupation.

Any idea of  Priscilla's maiden name?

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Hayley1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks you so much. 

The plot thickens.  I have found a marriage for a Patrick HOLLAND (I'm looking for a John) in Woodstock in May 1829.  He marries a Sarah Amey.  Another Gypsy surname??  Why would he change his name from Patrick to John?  :-\ :-\

Their daughter is Priscilla Holland.  Baptised in Woodstock in July 1831.  She marries in Hammersmith in 1850.

The 1841 census is the only one that I can find 'John', Sarah and Priscilla together. 

Now what?

Can you tell I am literally in the dark with this?!!  ;D

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage for a Patrick HOLLAND (I'm looking for a John) in Woodstock in May 1829.  He marries a Sarah Amey.  Another Gypsy surname??  Why would he change his name from Patrick to John?  :-\ :-\

I very much doubt that he would, in honesty. More likely a brother, or simply another, unrelated Holland.

Are ye a bit new to this game, Hayley? Just wondering exactly how ye got to where ye are right now. I've always advocated the slow and cautious approach, starting with ones self and creeping back, gathering paper as we go.

I see there's another Holland thread, on here. And, on it, our Cathay B mentions that she has information on Holland Gypsys in Oxfordshire!  ;) Ye can't send a PM, on here, till ye've made a given, very low, number of posts. But, once that capability opens up for ye, it may be an idea to drop her a line. If she doesn't see this anyway  :)

Oh, and the BOB doesn't mention Amey as a surname offered by any Gypsys. Of course, the book's just a guide. It's never said itself to be the last word.

Offline Hayley1975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
New to family history? No

New to researching travelling family? YES!

Never really thought about the implications of what being a Hawker might mean.  My young family dictates the amount of time I can spend on research and all help is welcome.  :)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
 :o Wee! Ye couldn't make that up! I came in here, just because I do. Saw ye'd posted and wondered why it hadn't notified me.

Read ye post. Glanced up. Notification email arrived!  ;D

Yeppers; Hawking was one of the staple trades employed by Gypsys. Other job descriptions would be, eg. Chair Bottomer or Knife Grinder / Cutler. Things like that.

The main thing being they'd be jobs that could be done on the move and with little auxiliary equipment. Keep ye eye out for those sorts of signs  ;)