Author Topic: James Craig and Sarah McKane  (Read 781 times)

Offline Snudge21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Craig and Sarah McKane
« on: Friday 01 June 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for birth records relating to James Craig and his wife Sarah McKane. They were married on 12th November 1935 in the parish of Errigal, County Londonderry. James' father is given as Robert Craig (labourer) whilst Sarah's is given as Thomas McKane (also a labourer). James was living in Garvagh and Sarah was living in Clough Mills. The witnesses on the marriage record were James Campbell and Greta Taggart.

I am told that James died at the age of 77 which would have him born around 1909 and Sarah died at the age of 92 making her birth year 1908. The story is that information on Sarah's birth record might not be correct.

This is the only birth record that I can find at the moment that gives a James Craig whose father is Robert but I'm not sure if this would be the right one.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01669/1664863.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Craig and Sarah McKane
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
You haven't said where the marriage took place but I don't think the Belfast one is the correct person.

I think this is the correct James Craig-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01606/1644717.pdf
Mother Sarah & son Jamie living with her father Robert Craig (whose name is the one likely on the marriage certificate)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Garvagh/Ballynameen/590796
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Snudge21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
The only other detail on the marriage record was that it took place in St Paul's Church. That birth record could be right because the address given by the mother - Ballinameen - is the one James provides as his address on the marriage record.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
The only other detail on the marriage record was that it took place in St Paul's Church. That birth record could be right because the address given by the mother - Ballinameen - is the one James provides as his address on the marriage record.

You've not only added to your reply since I first read it
The only other detail on the marriage record was that it took place in St Paul's Church.
but omitted vital details earlier when you said " James was living in Garvagh" rather than Ballinameen.

If you'd given all the details at the start I would have known exactly who you were looking for without having to search through vital and census records  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!