Author Topic: Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man  (Read 2504 times)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man
« on: Friday 01 June 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Forum, First Time Poster...  ;)

I think I have one of those situations where I have an ancestor who may have decided to drop off the face of the planet. I say this because it appears he had broken and ran from the law and it seems I am at an impasse attempting find any information after a certain year. I feel like I need  a fresh set of eyes to look at the current data and/or advise if there are any different techniques I would need to perform in finding new data. I have also came to the realization that I may not find anything so I'm sad about that but have accepted it. I thought I would give it one last effort.

With that said, here is what I have in a nutshell:

Name: Burnette Henrie Goodman
DOB: 18 Sept 1881 (Texas)
DOD: 1907 or after (I will explain below)

Crime: In 1904, He was accused of embezzling $2000.00 from an electrical part supply company in Houston, Texas. When he found out that the company was investigating him he took flight and went to Oklahoma (At which at that time was still considered Indian Territory). He was captured or gave himself up there. The Sheriff from Houston was sent to extradite him and eventually was brought back to Houston.

Resources used: So far I have found most of my information from both the local newspapers in Houston but I had some luck also getting the Court papers which gave the detail in both Houston and Muskogee Oklahoma. I have also used Ancestory.com and FamilySearch.org.

My last data I have comes from the year 1907. In the court documents it claims that he ran from the law again and that they for some reason closed the case claiming "He was out of Jurisdiction " which I am not quite sure I understand? Out of State or Out of Country? Why would they close the case because of that? Additionally, per the 1907 city directory of Houston it claims that his wife was a "widow" but also they had divorced that same year so I know it was common practice at that time that if a woman was divorced it was common to put that she was a "Widow" to hide the shame of it.

Goal: Primarily, I am attempting confirm his date of death and where he was buried. Secondarily, I would like to find any additional relevant information.

Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Have you traced the descendants of his two daughters for information?  Also you might contact the person who posted photo of his brother Emory on findagrave.com

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Could be an entirely different person but there is a New York naturalisation entry for a
Barnett Goodman born 1881 age 51 in 1932. 

He may have tweaked his name, although that isn't much of a change, and if he was born Texas why would he need naturalising but still. 

This person was residing at 725 Fox St NYC.  Have to say the signature doesn't look like Burnette or Barnett. 

Could maybe look for this chap just to rule him out  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Have you traced the descendants of his two daughters for information?  Also you might contact the person who posted photo of his brother Emory on findagrave.com

Yes I have. Unfortunately, I actually know more about Burnette than they do but they are looking to see if they have any documentation.  I was the person that posted Emorys Findagrave memorial. I have contacted his family line and they also did not have any information.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
Could be an entirely different person but there is a New York naturalisation entry for a
Barnett Goodman born 1881 age 51 in 1932. 

He may have tweaked his name, although that isn't much of a change, and if he was born Texas why would he need naturalising but still. 

This person was residing at 725 Fox St NYC.  Have to say the signature doesn't look like Burnette or Barnett. 

Could maybe look for this chap just to rule him out  :)

Thank you for the lead... I will follow it up....

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
Possible that he went to Mexico?

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Possible that he went to Mexico?

I wouldn’t rule it out.. and it’s been on my mind as well. I did a cursory search and didn’t come with anything. I fear he may have used an alias when he crossed the border possibly?!?

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:32 BST (UK) »
"He was out of Jurisdiction"

Is there a well defined legal meaning for this phrase which could indicate whether he was out of the country or out of state or dead?  Since they knew he was "out of jurisdiction," they must have had some evidence of what had become of him.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 June 18 00:46 BST (UK) »
"He was out of Jurisdiction"

Is there a well defined legal meaning for this phrase which could indicate whether he was out of the country or out of state or dead?  Since they knew he was "out of jurisdiction," they must have had some evidence of what had become of him.

Very good point. I didn't think about the legal definition of the term. Perhaps, what I need to do next to see what was the intent of the message from the court? I will see about posting the actual court info from this message to see if you can see something else I may be missing. Thanks for your suggestion. I first made an assumption that he may have been dead as of 1907 or 08... but I have not found any evidence of this so far.