Author Topic: Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man  (Read 2506 times)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 June 18 04:46 BST (UK) »
"He was out of Jurisdiction"

Is there a well defined legal meaning for this phrase which could indicate whether he was out of the country or out of state or dead?  Since they knew he was "out of jurisdiction," they must have had some evidence of what had become of him.

I have attached the City of Houstons Court Record about case dismissal.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 June 18 05:23 BST (UK) »
This is how I make it out:

Thursday June 17th 1909
The State of Texas vs B. H. Goodman

On motion of the state's attorney filed herein, by permission of the court, the prosecution of the case is dismissed because of the long standing of this case on the docket[?]  -  the defendant has been out of the jurisdiction of the court for years[?]  -  these cases all being for misdemeanor embezzlement.

I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like it means that Goodman has been outside of Texas for a long time.  Maybe the statute of limitations ran out.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 June 18 05:42 BST (UK) »
This is how I make it out:

Thursday June 17th 1909
The State of Texas vs B. H. Goodman

On motion of the state's attorney filed herein, by permission of the court, the prosecution of the case is dismissed because of the long standing of this case on the docket[?]  -  the defendant has been out of the jurisdiction of the court for years[?]  -  these cases all being for misdemeanor embezzlement.

I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like it means that Goodman has been outside of Texas for a long time.  Maybe the statute of limitations ran out.

I think at very most he was gone for less than 4 years. Just wish I knew what direction to go to research.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 June 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
If he changed his name, it's practically hopeless.  I have a similar case of alleged embezzlement.  According to a newspaper account, the accused was believed to have fled across the border from Minnesota to Canada.  Wherever he went, I have ever found him and I suspect he changed his name.

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 June 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
If he changed his name, it's practically hopeless.  I have a similar case of alleged embezzlement.  According to a newspaper account, the accused was believed to have fled across the border from Minnesota to Canada.  Wherever he went, I have ever found him and I suspect he changed his name.

I agree... I don't think my chances are good on this one. I think I will continue researching but I will see if there is any possible information that his descendants may have found.

I just realized on one thing I did forget to share and that for one of his daughters death certificates from 1979 it lists her fathers name as "Bernard Goodman". Im guessing that this might be a mistake on the part of the ex husband who signed the certificate but maybe its an alias that was used and her daughter didn't know his real name?...

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 June 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
What about the Oklahoma aspect?  Any idea why he went there?  Relatives, etc.?

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
What about the Oklahoma aspect?  Any idea why he went there?  Relatives, etc.?

I found that he had no relatives that lived in Oklahoma during this time. I would not know his motive for going there but  since he did go to court there I just realized I don't have the court records from Muskogee. Perhaps this might be helpful. I will see what I can find.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
It's a long shot, but if you could get a look at the motion filed by the state's attorney, there might be additional information about where they thought he had gone.  If you're in or near Houston and have a friend who's a lawyer, he might be able to find the relevant records if they still exist.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:08 BST (UK) »

I just realized on one thing I did forget to share and that for one of his daughters death certificates from 1979 it lists her fathers name as "Bernard Goodman". Im guessing that this might be a mistake on the part of the ex husband who signed the certificate but maybe its an alias that was used and her daughter didn't know his real name?...
[/quote

I wonder if he was known as Burnie, now anyone not knowing his original Christian name could have assumed he was Bernard known as Bernie. I would consider if he did change his name he realised he could call himself Bernard and say 'I call myself Bernie' thus making it easy.

If you think about it it's easier to change a surname than a Christian name, if you have been answering to Burnie/ Bernie all your life it's difficult to suddenly change to Charles etc.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk