Author Topic: Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man  (Read 2505 times)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burnette Henrie Goodman - My Mystery Man
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:30 BST (UK) »

I just realized on one thing I did forget to share and that for one of his daughters death certificates from 1979 it lists her fathers name as "Bernard Goodman". Im guessing that this might be a mistake on the part of the ex husband who signed the certificate but maybe its an alias that was used and her daughter didn't know his real name?...
[/quote

I wonder if he was known as Burnie, now anyone not knowing his original Christian name could have assumed he was Bernard known as Bernie. I would consider if he did change his name he realised he could call himself Bernard and say 'I call myself Bernie' thus making it easy.

If you think about it it's easier to change a surname than a Christian name, if you have been answering to Burnie/ Bernie all your life it's difficult to suddenly change to Charles etc.

Thats very possible. I will add this suggestion to my follow up.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
What about the Oklahoma aspect?  Any idea why he went there?  Relatives, etc.?

I found out that the records for this court of the "Western District and Indian Territory of Oklahoma" are archived in Ft. Worth, Texas which ironically I will be visiting the city this weekend to see my son graduate from High School. I will stay another day and visit the archive.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Be sure and let us know what you find.  (I live near Fort Worth!)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 June 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
Be sure and let us know what you find.  (I live near Fort Worth!)

I will and thanks again for the help.. Its great to get fresh eyes and perspective on research.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 June 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Just one more thought - have you tracked down the divorce papers?

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 June 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Just one more thought - have you tracked down the divorce papers?

Yes, I went pulled the records. I scoured over the papers but did not find a clue that would have assisted me in locating him. Unfortunately, My 2nd Great uncle was not that great of a person. Part of me says I have no interest in researching him because of all the negative things I have found but again, I think I am a researcher at heart so I want to get the information I'm looking for and close the door on this ancestor. Ha! I think if I ever find out what happened to him it will be pretty anti-climatic.