Author Topic: John D C Thorne  (Read 2185 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John D C Thorne
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 September 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
The criteria for WW2 medals are here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility#world-war-2-medals
At the very least he would be entitled to the defence Medal and the War Medal. The Campaign Stars depend on where he served nut as far as I can tell, they are all home based units, mostly balloon squadrons as you say:
http://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/united-kingdom---balloon-command.html  (AAF is Auxiliary Air Force) has most of them.  3 MU is 3 Maintenance Unit Milton Berkshire, 101PDC is 101 Personnel Despatch Centre (for discharge) Warton, 14 ITW is 14 Initial Training Wing Bridlington, ACRC (twice) are Aircrew Reception (Receiving) Centres, Abbey Lodge in London and Brighton in guess where.

Without seeing the rest of his record, it looks to me as if he was some sort of ground support man, soo AA gunner fits.  Someone who goes twice to a training centre in the middle of his service is almost certanly on the support staff not someone being trained.  Guesswork though!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John D C Thorne
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 September 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max, not home at the moment will put up the rest of his record.
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .