Author Topic: John D C Thorne  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John D C Thorne
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
I notice there only seems to be 6 digits whilst all the others are 7 ??? I'm expecting his marriage certificate to my Grandmother in 1943 any day now so hopefully his number will be on that and can cross reference - thank you for your time in replying to my questions - Richard
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Advice - the RAF can work on either his number or his date of birth.  If you quote the number wrongly and it doesn't add up with his dob, confusion reigns. He has a distinctive name so I would suggest either omitting his number completely or ensuring you highlight in your application that you are unsure of one digit.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 June 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks for advice , will wait and hope his number is on the marriage cert when it arrives.thanks again
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 June 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
I notice there only seems to be 6 digits whilst all the others are 7

The third digit on the image you posted seems to be a double-strike.  I suggest that either the clerk had a faulty typewriter or accidentally hit the backspace key.  I have seen this a few times on typed index cards.

The number might be 6467812, 6476812, 6478812, 6487812 -or other possibilities, - it's not worth guessing.

MaxD (as ever) gives excellent advice - quote the date of birth to avoid confusion.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 June 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for what seems sound advice. Will keep you updated in a few months when I hopefully hear from the RAF.

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
Just an update , service record for John James William Thorne  duly received, seems like he moved around squadrons  regularly. He is attached to a few squadrons commencing with the number 9 which seems to be balloon sqdn's. This would fit in with him being an anti aircraft gunner that my mother remembers. I've attached a scan of his different squadrons to see if anyone can shed any light please. It seems that Abbey Lodge was a hospital. Many thanks for any info in advance- Richard

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 September 18 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone advise me where I can see if John James William Thorne 647812 RAF, was due any service medals and if he actually received them. Thanks in advance - richard

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
They will be listed on his record.  In WW2 he would have to apply for them, they were not sent automatically.  Many didn't bother.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Max, I have his service record but can't see any reference to medals. Would it be the section "good conduct badges" other than that I'm struggling. - Richard