Author Topic: 3rd Great Grandmother Susan Ilbery  (Read 1519 times)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd Great Grandmother Susan Ilbery
« on: Saturday 02 June 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
I am requesting assistance in finding some information on My 3rd Great Grandmother who immigrated to America in the 1860's. I wanted to see if I could find out what her maiden name was before she got married.

Her married name was Susan Ilbery.
She was married to an Englishman named William Ilbery
They were married around 1837 per American Census records.
They immigrated to America from Germany via England in 1866 based on the ship manifest I have and settled in the St. Louis, Missouri area around that time.
They had one child named Albert who came with them from Germany.
Per US Census Records, Susan came from Switzerland.

Is there any recommendations on how to proceed?
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Great Grandmother Susan Ilbery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
An Englishman married a Swiss girl in Germany and then emmigrated to America. Is that correct.

On the ships list from 1866 it states William 34 years old, Susan 47 and Albert 19.
subsequently William was born about 1832, Susan 1819 and Albert 1847.

They could not have married in 1837. or am i missing something. Where did they marry, in Germany or in America

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
An Englishman married a Swiss girl in Germany and then emmigrated to America. Is that correct.

On the ships list from 1866 it states William 34 years old, Susan 47 and Albert 19.
subsequently William was born about 1832, Susan 1819 and Albert 1847.

They could not have married in 1837. or am i missing something. Where did they marry, in Germany or in America

Wow!.. Thanks, Good catch. This gets a bit puzzling. Im questioning if I have the correct family?.. Per the US 1880 Census record both Susans and Alberts years match up with the Ship Manifest. But Williams does not.. In the Census it states he was born around 1812. This marriage date would probably make sense now and that the marriage occurred outside of the US. Now I guess the next question would be is this another william? or maybe the manifest is incorrect? I will see if I can find a William Ilbery born in 1832.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 18 09:43 BST (UK) »

the best lead is definitely the marriage record.
Where did they supposedly marry. Germany, Switzerland ??

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 18 09:55 BST (UK) »

I do not know where they got married. I got the year from the 1900 US Census which asked "How many years married" in which it said 63 years. That seems like a long time to be married in that day and age.

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »

I searched on familysearch.org for "Switzerland Marriages, 1532-1910" and the ilbery had no hits. I wonder if they were married in Germany?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
I doubt the familysearch records are 100% complete, I would not take a lack of a marriage for them in that set of records as a sign they didn't marry in Switzerland.

You should work on records in the US first:
-any later records (marriage, death, obituary) for the Albert that show where he was born or give the maiden name of his mother
-any later records for Susan (death, obituary) that might give maiden name, more exact place of birth, or parents' names.
-any records for William that can lead you back to his family in the UK - might be able to work out why he might have been in Switzerland and/or Germany.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
I doubt the familysearch records are 100% complete, I would not take a lack of a marriage for them in that set of records as a sign they didn't marry in Switzerland.

You should work on records in the US first:
-any later records (marriage, death, obituary) for the Albert that show where he was born or give the maiden name of his mother
-any later records for Susan (death, obituary) that might give maiden name, more exact place of birth, or parents' names.
-any records for William that can lead you back to his family in the UK - might be able to work out why he might have been in Switzerland and/or Germany.

Thanks for the advice, I will continue to work in that direction.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 June 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Please forgive me if I'm misleading you, but have you searched generally for William Ilbery? Was he a watchmaker? I have found https://collections.museumoflondon.org.uk/online/object/137938.html which  mentions what might be the father, and a Swiss connection.
Of course this could all be a co-incidence!
Paul