Author Topic: 3rd Great Grandmother Susan Ilbery  (Read 1522 times)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Great Grandmother Susan Ilbery
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 June 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
Please forgive me if I'm misleading you, but have you searched generally for William Ilbery? Was he a watchmaker? I have found https://collections.museumoflondon.org.uk/online/object/137938.html which  mentions what might be the father, and a Swiss connection.
Of course this could all be a co-incidence!
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information, I was familiar with the watch maker on my many searches of Google but have not seriously went down that path. So with the small amount of research on your suggestion  it appears this would not be the same "William Ilbery" due t his birth/death date  of 1780-1839 but it does the leave the possibility to could be his son if he had one. I think this deserves a little more research.

Thank you again!
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 June 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
Jorose's advice above is your best course of action. Bear in mind that 'Susan' might be an anglisised version of her first name. Any Swiss research will require her name and place of origin and/or place of birth. Once you have these, then come back here, put Switzerland in the thread title and there's a few of us who will guide you further.
Good luck!
Paul

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Jorose's advice above is your best course of action. Bear in mind that 'Susan' might be an anglisised version of her first name. Any Swiss research will require her name and place of origin and/or place of birth. Once you have these, then come back here, put Switzerland in the thread title and there's a few of us who will guide you further.
Good luck!
Paul

Thanks Paul.. I will continue researching.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
The 1880 census gives the ages as William, 68, Susan 61, Albert 34 so it looks like the age on the ship's manifest is wrong.
It also states that Albert was also born in Switzerland to an English father, which would tie in with William.

Malky

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen this ...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/126680056/william-ilbery

Thanks Priscilla, I am familiar with the FAG site.