Author Topic: Trying to break down this brickwall. Watson family of Perth  (Read 2551 times)

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Trying to break down this brickwall. Watson family of Perth
« on: Saturday 02 June 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, after an extended break from my research, I've been revisiting some brickwalls, seeing if I can find any more clues. I'm posting here in the hope that someone may have some idea or resources that I don't, as I only have access to ScotlandsPeople and FreeCEN.

My ancestor Mary Watson was born circa 1836 to James Watson and Mary Nicol.
-In 1856 she had an illegitimate child, Robert Cameron (Watson) with James Cameron.
-In 1866 Mary Watson married a John McGregor and they had 2 children.
-I started a thread years ago looking for help finding Mary in early censuses, but nothing really definite turned up. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=285566.9
Who I'm really looking to find though is Mary's parents and their family.

Here is the information I have:
-In April 1829, James Watson, Mason in the West Church Parish of Perth, married Mary Nicol in the Middle Church Parish of Perth, daughter of the deceased James Nicol, Farmer in Kinfauns (I have some information on the Nicol line, but not much on the Watsons).
-In November 1829 a daughter was born and baptized Mary Chalmers Watson.
-In December 1829 they were rebuked for antenuptial fornication before the kirk session of the West Church Parish of Perth. James Watson resided in St Leonard Street Eastside and his wife in the South side of South Street.
-In December 1847, a Mary Watson, aged 48, widow of James Watson, Mason, was buried in Greyfriars burial ground, Perth. This is possibly my Mary Nicol.
Is the Mary Chalmers Watson born 1829 the same Mary Watson who later married John McGregor? I don't know. The age doesn't quite match, but she seems to have a different age in each census, so I'm thinking it could be her.
Also, I can't find any other births to this couple other than Mary Chalmers Watson b. 1829. Did they become members of a dissenting church, or was that their only child?

The only possibility for the family I can find on censuses is the following:
Piece: SCT1841/468 Place: Tillicoultry -Clackmannanshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Tillicoultry Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 3 Page: 21
Address: Tillicoultry Vill. Southfield
Surname       First name(s)   Sex       /Age       Occupation   Where Born   
WATSON       James       M       40       Mason        Outside Census County (1841)           
WATSON       Mary       F       36               Outside Census County (1841)           
WATSON       Robert       M       12               Outside Census County (1841)           
WATSON       Wm       M       7               Outside Census County (1841)           
WATSON       Mary       F       15               Outside Census County (1841)           
WATSON       Jannet       F       9               Outside Census County (1841)           
WATSON       Elizabeth   F       2               Clackmannanshire
I think this could be the family. This James' occupation matches mine, as does is his wife's name. Also, Clackmannanshire borders on Perthshire, which could be the place of birth referenced by "Outside Census County".
Here again though, Mary's ago doesn't quite match up with mine, and neither does her mother's, but maybe that's a mistake?
Either way, I would like to prove or disprove whether or not this is my family, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find anybody from this census family again. I've spent a bunch of credits on ScotlandsPeople looking at death certificates, but had no luck yet. Maybe someone can find someone on a later census? If I can get clues to help locate a marriage or death from one of the children, then I should be able to prove whether or not this is my family.

While I was research James Watson and his family, I also found reference to a Margaret Watson who was also living in the Eastside of Leonard Street, Perth. I cannot prove it as of yet, but I think she is probably James Watson's sister.
-In February 1830, Margaret Watson, an unmarried woman residing in the Eastside of Leonard Street, brought forth a female child in fornication 15 weeks ago and was rebuked before the kirk session of the West Church Parish of Perth. She accused John Milligan, an unmarried man, of being the father.
-In June 1830, before the Kirk Session of the West Church Parish of Perth, Margaret Watson produced an acknowledgement from John Milligan, dated Paisley the twenty second day of March 1830, of his being the father of her child.
-In June 1831, Margaret Watson in the Low Church Parish of Paisley, married John Milligan (spelt Millikin) in the High Church Parish of Paisley.
Unfortunately I cannot find the birth of the daughter born 1829/1830, or of any children to the couple. Neither can I find the family in any census or later record. I hope I can find out more about this family to prove or disprove a link to mine.

I feel like I've research this family quite thoroughly, but maybe I'm missing something, and I hope another pair of eyes can turn up another clue!

Thanks everyone!
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to break down this brickwall. Watson family of Perth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Mary who died in Perth in 1895 was the daughter of James (mason)/Mary Nicholl.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Don thanks for your interest.
Yes, sorry I did not mention 
that I have that death certificate from 1895.
I am hoping to find those possible siblings of Mary.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:24 BST (UK) »

-In December 1847, a Mary Watson, aged 48, widow of James Watson, Mason, was buried in Greyfriars burial ground, Perth. This is possibly my Mary Nicol.

The Mary, wife, you found in the 1841 census showed as aged 36, so born (if correct) anytime between 1801-05.

Have you considered this possible census from 1851?

Mary Watson 46 widow born Glasgow, lanarkshire
Janet Watson 18 Shawl Picker (woollen) b. Muckhart, perthshire
Elizabeth Watson 13 Piercer (woollen) b. Tillicoultry, clackmannanshire
Helen Watson 9 b. Tillicoultry, clackmannanshire

Address: 35 Cairnton Street, Tillycoultry, Clck.

Mary and her two daughters Elizabeth and Helen show at the same address in 1861. Not sure if this mother Mary's maiden name is Nicol though as it is not showing on SP searches.

Not a bad fit for with the 1841 census you have maybe?

James Watson 40 mason
Mary Watson 36
Robert Watson 12
Wm Watson 7
Mary Watson 15
Jannet Watson 9
Elizabeth Watson 2 b. Clackmannanshire
Address: Tillicoultry Vill. Southfield

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 18 03:06 BST (UK) »
I don't believe the James/Mary on 1841 Census and widowed Mary and daughters on 1851 are the right family.

Janet in 1851 is shown born in Muckhart and the brothers Robert and William shown in 1841 were born Muckhart too, the latter in 1833, at United Presbyterian Church - however, parents are shown as James Watson and Mary Aiken (not Nicol) - this is on familysearch.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies Monica and Annette!
Thanks to that info I was able to find Clackmannanshire Mary's death certificate on Scotland's People, and yes, it is Mary Aiken, not Mary Nicol.
It's unfortunate that that is not the family, but I am glad I can rule them out all the same. Need to keep on looking!

Can anyone find an option for Mary Watson (nee Nicol) on the 1841 census? She would likely have been somewhere in Perthshire, and her age would probably be 40-50.

Offline wilmaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In the  1841 census  living in Cottown Perthshire ( close to Kinfauns, parish St Madoes )    is  listed: James  and Mary Watson  both aged c35  and 6 children, one of them a  Mary b c 1832.

However I haven't found them in later census.  I  have been trying to connect them to other Watson families from Perthshire , namely John Watson and Mary Cameron having their family in Perthshire
in 1820's.

Parish: St Madoes; ED: 1; Page: 8; Line: 960; Year: 18411841
 Scotland Census. Edinburgh, Scotland: General Register Office for Scotland. Reels 1-151. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland

wilma

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilma

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Was mother/wife Mary's maiden name Peddie?

Possible 1851 entry:

James Watson 46 agr lab. b. Errol
Mary Watson 44 b. Errol
Elizabeth Watson 27 b. Inchture, perth
Margaret Watson 3 b. St Madoes
James Starton 2 relative b. St Madoes
Isabella Watson 7 b. St Madoes

Address:Bothie, Cottown St Madoes

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
Also possible for them in 1861 which bodes well for you finding their death certs and confirming details on parentage etc for parents James and Mary:

James Watson 63 Ploughman b. Errol
Mary Watson 62 b. Perth
Isabella Watson 17 b. St Madoes
James Sterton 12 grandson

Address:Ploughman's House, St Madoes

Monica