Author Topic: Which Scare?  (Read 713 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Which Scare?
« on: Saturday 02 June 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is about an article:

John Scare, is featured in The Bury Free Press for the 25th of October 1862, as having been 'drunk and riotous’ in the 'Market Place at Soham’ and 'was allowed seven days to pay 15s. 6d.’ following a guilty plea.

Now, John may be one of two people I believe. He is either the father of my great-great-great-grandfather, James Scarr (born Scare), or his brother of the same name. Can anyone find any other references to this case that give an age.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Scare?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam,
There is a report in the Cambridge Independent Press, 25 October 1862 but it doesn't give any more detail than you have apart from the fact John 'Scarce' was a labourer.
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Scare?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Oh well. The elder Scare was a maltster, so I'll have to check the census for the younger Scare's occupation. It might not even be one of them if it's written as Scarce. Thanks.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart