Author Topic: Non-fighting records WW2  (Read 579 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Non-fighting records WW2
« on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have the marriage certificate for my great-great-uncle, John William 'Jack' McGregor - after whom I get one of my middle names. It is from 1942 and in Walberton, Sussex. Jack's profession is given as Civil Defence, and his wife, Muriel Florence Streater, is listed as Navy, Army and Air Force institute. Would any records exist for these two? My great-grandfather Thomas Henry Salter was also a member of the Home Guard in Calne during the war.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Non-fighting records WW2
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
My dad was in the Home Guard and he applied for a copy of his record many years ago. It was just a couple of sheets as he had to leave due to his deafness.......just before he would have qualified for a medal.

This might help:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/home-guard-personnel/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
That is unfortunate. Very unfortunate timing.  ::)
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
That is unfortunate. Very unfortunate timing.  ::)

He did his bit though......working with the development of radar.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, that was a very important development.