Author Topic: Request for Assistance on transcribing Marriage Record  (Read 1105 times)

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Request for Assistance on transcribing Marriage Record
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 04:06 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage record from St. Louis, MO USA.  I am having trouble deciphering.. In particular the names of the Bride and Groom. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Assistance on transcribing Marriage Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 05:02 BST (UK) »
It looks like:

city of St Louis, SS Peter and Pauls Church.  I certify that I have this day joined in the holy
bands of matrimony John Sabat-Lake with Ann Phillips.  Certified by me this 7 day of
Nov AD 1853.        S Sigust, Priest.
Filed and recorded November 8th 1853.        S D Barlow, Recorder.

(The year might possibly be 1859)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

Line 1:City of St Louis. S.S. (Saints) Peter and Paul's Church. I certify that I have this day joined in the Holy

Line 2: Bonds of matrimony John SABOT ?E--she with Ann WALLISS. Certified by me this 7 day of

Line 3: Novr A.D. (anno domini) 1853.                            S. SIGRIST, Priest

Line 4: Filed and recorded November 8th 1853                 L.D. BARLOW recorder

Column on the left has:
SABOT John
or Jabat Z--HE???

I'm not clear on the names, it is what I think I see. Hope this helps in some way

Regards Crowsfeet

Sorry our posts have crossed over.
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 18 05:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry our posts have crossed over.

No need to be sorry.  :)

It is interesting that we come up with different surnames.  I hope lonestardiver finds the correct ones. (I definitely won't guarantee that my reading is correct!) Reading it again Walliss/Holliss does look promising.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChristineM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 18 05:43 BST (UK) »
I was thinking the first letter of the second part of the hyphenated name might be a Z rather than an L.
Christine.
AUSTRALIA: Farrelly, Boland, Harte
IRELAND:  Boland (Tipp), Dempsey (Cavan), Farrelly (Meath), Guerin & Harte (Clare), McGivern & McKenna (Monaghan), Traynor
SCOTLAND:  Dempsey (Edin), Welsh (Forfar,Arbroath,Kirriemuir,Kincardine), Milne (Forfar,Dundee), Barron, Bisset (Montrose)

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 18 08:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.emslanders.com/emigrants_list_herzlake.htm

There are several families with the surname Lohe who have ended up in St Louis so I wonder if that is the end of the surname here. 

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.emslanders.com/emigrants_list_herzlake.htm

There are several families with the surname Lohe who have ended up in St Louis so I wonder if that is the end of the surname here.

Thanks for the info... This Ancestor has been a little bit of a challenge to research... His name seems to be spelt differently in all the documentation I have seen and to add to the complexity the family eventually changed their name.  Attached is the very earliest spelling from an 1851 Land Office Record. The family eventually changed their name to "Sabbath".
Kuhn, Funk, Pennington, White, Ilbery, Goodman, McDaniel, Morris, Reitter, Sabadlo, Stephenson, Johnson, Templeton, Scruggs, Davidson, and Howard.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
Just to add my two penn'th:   ;D

There is a lot of "ghosting" in the image. It looks almost as though the first letter of the second part of the groom's surname has been corrected/questioned and underlined.

Any ideas who made the note on the left side of the image?
It looks like the same handwriting, but is questioning the name.  ???
To me it reads:
Sabat-Lohe
or
Sabat-Zohe

I would say the bride was Ann WALLISS (the first letter is not like the "P" in "Priest").

The priest's name looks like S. SIGRIST to me.

Warm regards from Germany,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline lonestardiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Just to add my two penn'th:   ;D

There is a lot of "ghosting" in the image. It looks almost as though the first letter of the second part of the groom's surname has been corrected/questioned and underlined.

Any ideas who made the note on the left side of the image?
It looks like the same handwriting, but is questioning the name.  ???
To me it reads:
Sabat-Lohe
or
Sabat-Zohe

I would say the bride was Ann WALLISS (the first letter is not like the "P" in "Priest").

The priest's name looks like S. SIGRIST to me.

Warm regards from Germany,
Karen

Yes, I find this strange as well. With using my imagination, I picture the happy couple registering  the wedding and the groom with maybe a thick accent saying his last name and person registering him not understanding very well and "Phonetically" spelling it because he did not want to ask him for the third time his last name! ha. Going crazy with the imagination.

In reference to the Brides name, I went and looked over document to see if there was another occurrence of the "First Letter" of her last name for another name. I found one as attached.. I think that first letter is an "H"...  Your thoughts?