Author Topic: Amusing tree on Ancestry  (Read 6335 times)

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing tree on Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:05 BST (UK) »
I think the Oxford dictionary people should pick this up or a medical journal. ☺

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Treebusters would be another good one Philip  ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
About 11 years ago I made contact with someone who was related on my maternal side and we became quite good friends. One day she emailed me to tell me she’d traced our great x 3 great aunt going to America, marrying twice and having children. Looking at it, it checked out, names, dates etc. So we added it to our trees.

However, 3 years ago when new information came online I decided to double check and found she didn’t go to America but stayed near where she was born in London. Unfortunately between those years my friend had died, so although my tree is now correct, hers still contains the wrong information and has been copied by others. I have contacted some, but have only heard back from a couple.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Treebusters would be another good one Philip  ;D

Do you experience feelings of dread on your computer or ipad?
Have you or any of your family seen a dodgy online tree?
If the answer is "Yes", then don't wait another minute.  Log in to Rootschat and call on the experts.
TREEBUSTERS

A Rootschat production starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Bill Ramis.  Full supporting cast of Marquessates, Aristocrats and Veterans.
(Distributed by Spatchcock Films Inc)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
This problem arises because our ancestors gave their children names like John, Henry, Elizabeth and Margaret. This was very inconsiderate of them. How are people supposed to know that there might be more than one John Williams or Elizabeth Jones?

I suggest that we help our descendants by giving our children names like Murgatroyd Mumpsimus Smith and Scholastica Nonesuch Jones.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
I think I'm allergic to finding stuff like that. I find it so painful... One of my distant cousins did admit to putting incorrect info in a tree on purpose once to weed out the sheep from the researchers- I'm pleased to say I found that out after I questioned it.

I have seen what looks like accidental mashing up of stuff, like somehow the tree got corrupted and the links went to the wrong places.

With the "back to Adam and Eve" trees I can at least credit them with the amount of time and effort that must have been put into making those in the first place.

One of the more interesting trees I've seen went back perfectly well to about 1750 and then the birth date of one ancestor was typo'd as 1850 and then they'd apparently found a person that fit and started back through the 19th and 18th centuries again!

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
This problem arises because our ancestors gave their children names like John, Henry, Elizabeth and Margaret. This was very inconsiderate of them. How are people supposed to know that there might be more than one John Williams or Elizabeth Jones?

I suggest that we help our descendants by giving our children names like Murgatroyd Mumpsimus Smith and Scholastica Nonesuch Jones.

So true, so true.

In my wife's tree, every Tom, Dick and Harry is called Mary.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 June 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
You won't be surprised to know that I have no Ancestry or any other online tree.

I once helped a beginner and then let her loose to do her own thing.  When I asked how she was getting on and what sources she had used to verify what she'd found, she was amazed when I told her that Ancestry wasn't the original source!  I blame myself to some extent for not explaining the situation more clearly. But why don't people do a bit of reading about how to research before jumping straight in?

Melbell

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 June 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
But why don't people do a bit of reading about how to research before jumping straight in?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, Melbell. You only have to look and see how many questions there are on all the genealogy forums re the 1939 census!!!! No, for a start it isn't a census, it's a register. If people read a bit before they jumped in, they wouldn't have to keep asking why some names are blacked out etc.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk