Author Topic: Amusing tree on Ancestry  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing tree on Ancestry
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
I had a great laugh when looking at my ancestors who died in Bairnsdale, Gippsland, Victoria Australia.  That's is what it says in the facts.  In the story they write it claimed Bairnsdale, Trinidad and Tobago.  Son suggested we visit the cemetery in cricket season.   ;D ;D
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
JAKnighton

I had not heard of the Pareto Principle and found your post very interesting.  It certainly seems to be illustrated in the trees/'research' found online.

Thank you,
Melbell

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
When I build a tree, I might find somebody who "married one of these 3-4 chaps, no idea which one ... so I'll add them and follow the lines down, to see if anything ever makes sense..." because there's no other way to do it and remember what you found... iyswim.  If I find somebody who isn't right, I'll leave them on the tree and I change their surname to include the suffix _DUD - and my notes say why I discounted them.... so I know, in case I stumble across that potential connection again in 10 years' time as it'd save me wasting time.

I guess the issue here might be that: she has no idea others might see what she's working on .... or that anybody might take it as "true".

People will use the framework as fits their purposes... and not how ANC intended it to be used, or how others use it. Some might be meticulously ONLY be adding "true/proven/must be" people ... others "toss all and sundry at the tree to see what sticks", using it as their "rough notes and finished stuff" ... all their ideas and notes in one online spot for them to use/discard over time.

I think that is a very good point.  I may look for connections in other people's trees sometimes, but I'm not judgemental about what I find there. 

I also think that there are probably a lot of people out there who are not very experienced with computers.  Once they have added something they may not know how to remove it, and before long they have produced a tangled web which they don't know how to amend.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
I have got very irrelevant hints before for people with common names. Imagine having a John Smith born 1792 in London but you are unsure of parents, and get a hint for a John Smith born 1792 in Cumberland. Ancestry hints are a waste of time.
From my experience of how my ancestors put different places of birth on different documents I wouldn't call that hint a waste of time. The 1911 census return for an ancestor who died in the 1790s was another matter.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex